Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:24 PM   #1

I Have dark spots inmy photos. I have cleaned both my lenses and still have them.

I have used the blower and duster inside my camera but they don't come off. Should I use my lense cleaner and lense paper to clean the mirrors off inside the camera?
Attached Images

Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:40 PM   #2

Don't clean the mirror on the camera; not only is it fragile but dust on the mirror has no effect on your images.

The sensor (behind the mirror) is what you need to clean. There are several methods for cleaning the sensor; blowers, swaps, etc.

One of the most popular can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:15 AM   #3

Justin is absolutely correct. Welcome to the wonderful world of sensor dust. Do some searches and you'll find advice for cleaning your sensor. At a high level, you should try these steps in the following order (all of them require you to put the 20d in the sensor cleaning mode - with mirror locked up):

1. Use blower first

2. If #1 doesn't fix it then use a specially made sensor brush - not a lens brush a sensor brush - the difference is a sensor brush gets charged with static electricity so dust clings to it

3. Finally use the copperhill wet method. I've had a 20D for 18 months and taken about 25,000 snaps with it and I've never had to resort to wet cleaning the sensor yet and only had to use a sensor brush a couple of times.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:38 AM   #4

Thanks guys.. did a dry blow this morning and all ok now. I also did a google dearch on it, and yes there is all kinds of info on it.
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote