Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 12, 2003, 12:37 PM   #1

Default Time delay before/after depressing shutter, also w/LCD

I don't know if I'm even using the right terminology, but here goes anyway.

I have a Olympus 490-Z and it takes great photos, but I have had a couple of problems with it.

First, the button I push to take pictures is not as responsive as I would like it to be. I push and I have to wait (maybe not that long, maybe a second or so), and this is irritating.

Second, after I take that first photo, it seems I have to wait a while to take the second photo while the camera writes the first photo to the media (I am guessing here), so I am stuck waiting...

Third, while scrolling through pictures on the LCD, it takes forever for the photos to come up. This again is irritating.

All three of these things are really irritating, and I thought everyone with digital cameras had to deal with them, until I used a friend's, and his didn't have any of these delays.

Now I am considering a new 4-5 megapixel camera (mostly for point-and-shoot, but also for other stuff) but I am not willing to deal with the issues I had to deal with with the Olympus.

Any ideas why I had these problems? Is it Olympus' chosen media (SmartMedia)? Or is it just poor implementation of technology by Olympus?

Any recommendations as to which 4-5MP cameras do not have these delays, have point-and-shoot capability, and have excellent picture quality?

Thanks.
Fun Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2003, 2:29 PM   #2

1) This is called shutter lag and it's on all consumer digital cameras (of varying lengths of time). This is the time that the camera requires to focus, set white balance, exposure, etc. You can reduce this time by holding the shutter button halfway down to allow the camera to pre-focus, etc., and then when you're ready to take the picture press the shutter button fully. If you're looking for a camera that has a very short shutter lag, be prepared to spend a few thousand dollars on a dSLR.

2) Depending on what resolution you are using this wait time will vary...if you are using the high resolution TIFF mode, you will have to wait until the camera is finished. If you use JPEG resolutions, you can shoot again sooner as the file sizes are smaller, and if you use the sequence mode fire multiple shots without waiting.

3) Again if you are using TIFF it will take longer to see pictures because of the filesize, use JPG (most people can't tell the difference and it will save you a LOT of space).

Obviously I'm only guessing here since you are only giving limited clues, but you don't have a bad camera. I know many people who use Olympus cameras (including myself) and we've all gone through these issues until we learned how to use the camera...actually, people who own other brands go through these same issues as well. It has nothing to do with Oly's chosen media (although formatting the media in the camera once in a while can improve performance). If you do a search here on "lag" you will find many messages where people who owned other brands have asked similar questions.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 3:04 PM   #3

Default Okay, here's more info...

Thanks for replying and your comments.

I don't use the TIFF mode (they take up way too much room even on a 64MB card), but the next highest, which results in 1600x1200 JPEG files of around 5MB each.

1) I almost understand the lag due to all that calibration, but don't all cameras have this lag? Surely this is not an issue experienced strictly by digital cameras, and even if it is, aren't some better than others?

2) Are you saying that I will always have a lag between pictures? This doesn't make sense - otherwise how could they build digital SLR cameras that can take multiple pictures per second?

3) Are you sure? I'm not viewing a 1600x1200 photo, I'm viewing a derivation on a little LCD screen. Does the camera need to render the whole picture to do this?

I have a feeling that the lags are not all the same. If there was a solid state buffer (i.e. RAM) to hold previous photos, then the lag would be less pronounced since it would not be necessary to write to the media before allowing another photo.

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old May 12, 2003, 4:14 PM   #4

The 490Z has SHQ and HQ, there is very little difference in the quality of the pics. This will speed up the process. You can defeat shutter lag by using the manual mode. Lag time will also be noticeable if you are using the flash. Low batteries will also effect the lag time.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 8:44 PM   #5

My Coolpix 4500 is on the way, and only after I ordered did I hear about lag, so I have a few questions based on what I just read:

1- If I control the shutter and apperature, that will lessen the lag, correct?

2- If I am shooting at an infinity focus (as opposed to something nearby) will the lag be as long?

3- Can I also set the focus so the camera has to figure out nothing?

4- Does the camera have a sensor that tells me what apperature and shutter it recommends, regardless of whether or not I have it on "dummy" mode?

Thanks,

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 9:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
My Coolpix 4500 is on the way, and only after I ordered did I hear about lag, so I have a few questions based on what I just read:

1- If I control the shutter and apperature, that will lessen the lag, correct?

2- If I am shooting at an infinity focus (as opposed to something nearby) will the lag be as long?

3- Can I also set the focus so the camera has to figure out nothing?

4- Does the camera have a sensor that tells me what apperature and shutter it recommends, regardless of whether or not I have it on "dummy" mode?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Jeremy, you hijacked my topic and thread. What I want to know is if all cameras experience this issue equally, or if the lags vary between cameras. If so, I want to know why and which cameras, if any, or better.

I haven't been here long, but on the other boards I frequent, that's a faux pas. If you have questions that are significantly different, it is considered proper etiquette to start another topic or thread.

Thanks.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:00 PM   #7
lg

A couple of tips on reducing shutter lag with digicams...

1. If you are using redeye reduction, this will drastically INCREASE shutter lag. I'd recommend turning redeye reduction OFF.

2. If you have a choice between continuous autofocus and single focus, turn OFF continuous autofocus and use the half-press prefocus as was mentioned above to further reduce shutter lag.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote