Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 13, 2003, 1:35 PM   #1

Default 'Shutter' delay???

I just got my first digicam, an Olympus C720. The one thing I've noticed that I definitely do not like about this camera is the delay between the time I press the shutter release and when the image is actually captured. There seems to be at least a one second delay. I've lost some good shots due to this. Is this something that is inherient to digicams or just to certain cameras? Or maybe I just don't have the camera set up correctly...
JimWWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2003, 1:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Is this something that is inherient to digicams or just to certain cameras? Or maybe I just don't have the camera set up correctly...
It's inherent with all none DSLR digicams. You just have to learn to deal with it e.g. be ready with the button half pressed and try to anticipate.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 2:59 PM   #3

You can avoid the shutter delay by going to manual settings, but I prefer the auto settings and press the shutter halfway. I use the manual settings when I have circumstances that require there use.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 3:10 PM   #4

JimWWhite

I general agree with gibsonpd3620. It all depends on what the cause of the delay is. Most of the time its auto focus. Pressing the shutter button down 1/2 way (and holding it that way) will focus and meter the scene but not take the picture. That way, when you press it all the way down it will take the picture faster.

Depending on if/how the camera allows for manual controls, you might eventually be able to do it faster (and as accurately) as the camera can. Then when you need to you could focus, set the aperture and shutter speed yourself. Of course, you'd probably do that by presetting some of them (picking a reasonable shutter speed and apeture) and then just focusing at the moment of the picture.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 5:54 PM   #5

(taken from another message I replied to here on the same subject in the past 48 hours)

This is called shutter lag and it's on all consumer digital cameras (of varying lengths of time). This is the time that the camera requires to focus, set white balance, exposure, etc. You can reduce this time by holding the shutter button halfway down to allow the camera to pre-focus, etc., and then when you're ready to take the picture press the shutter button fully. If you're looking for a camera that has a very short shutter lag, be prepared to spend a few thousand dollars on a dSLR.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote