Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:11 AM   #1

Hello all ~

I would like to know what are some of the better 'online' outlets for anyone who is interested in selling prints of their photographic works. I did check out SmugMug, but would like a direction to some others also.

_________
Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:45 AM   #2

There are many out there... I've heard good thingsSmugmug and Printroom.

I'm using Exposuremanager after looking at several- at the time the things important to me that they did, others may have all of this now also:

- Nested Galleries
- Unlimited Storage
- Best commission/credit card fees
- soft proofing
- Mass ftp upload of multiple galleries
- Only required to upload print ready photo's when order is placed

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:58 AM   #3

Thanks Joe. I will give a look-see at those.

________
Blessings,

Nathan
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:09 PM   #4

Another option is to do you own website using paypal or google. That way you get about 97% of the selling price after paypal takes it's cut. IF you sell under $3000 a month the fees paypal charges work this way:

2.9% + $0.30

So if you sell a $100 print you will get $96.8 ($100 * (1-.029) + .30). That's not bad at all.

This is what I have done at my http://www.mattspinelli.com/gallery.html

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:33 PM   #5

Nelmr,

I don't disagree with you and what you have can be a great option for some folks. In fact, the first company I went with proimageguide had a pay by palpal option with no additional fees (other than a yearly web hosting fee with unlimited storage and of course the small % that PalPal charges). Their web design tool was pretty easy to use. I quickly outgrew this company though as they didn't offer lab services, I had to handle the printing and shipping of each order (ink,paper andshipping are now done by mynew web hosting company). Being a sports shooter, my time is better spent taking photo's and paying a company like Exposuremanager to handle pretty much everything else. And, companies like Exposuremanager, Smugmug and Printroom (to name a few) are designed specifically for photographers.

I can offer a much wider variety of products, spend very little time with the website other than uploading photo's for sale or for printing once an order is placed. I can now easilly sella thousand imagesamonth in less time than it would take me toprocess, print,ship50orders with my old system. If you'd care to take a look atmy site: www.lacascio.com (comments are welcome ;-) )

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:34 PM   #6

How much busness have you gotten from your web page and how do you advertise it?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:02 PM   #7

Thanks for the helpful info, everyone. I am not quite ready for selling, at this present time, but wanted to find out about such online outlets before I felt that I had enough photos to list for sale. I am not really computer savvy, so whatever service I go with will have to be one which offers the biggest bang for the buck. I don't know even the least about setting up a website, and am searching for something that would require nothing much more than my uploading photos; setting prices, etc.

________
Blessings,

Nathan