Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:14 PM   #1

Hi again.

I am a little confused about something, and hope that someone wouldn't mind helping to shatter my confusion over this "100% Cropping" matter.

The way that I am looking at things is that any picture taken is considered a "whole". Now, any cropping of a photo is an extraction of same - and less that the whole of what it was. So what is meant by a '100% crop?"

_________
Blessings,

Nathan

NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:19 PM   #2

A 100% crop of an image is where the image is cropped, but magnification is 100%.

In other words, you crop the image but no resizing is done.

Take a look at my post in this topic for a visual example: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...562378#p562378

The first image is the full image (no cropping) yet resized to fit on the page.

The two images that follow are 100% crops of the full-sized image (before it was resized).

100% crops are commonly used to show the sharpness of lenses as they show exactly what the lense produced; no image resizing which may/may not make the image look sharper (if the image is reduced it will almost always look sharper than a full-sized image).
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:13 PM   #3

Let me combine a couple of pics that might make it clear (not that I'm very good at that).

We have the same camera and it produces high quality images that are 3264x2448 pixel in size. Obviously, that's WAY too big to post unless you have 30" wide monitor and a high speed connection .

So we downsize the images when we post them. The problem with that is: how can show somebody how detailed the image is when it is radically downsized? Once you shrink an image enough, you can't tell much difference between a mediocre 2MP camera and a good 8MP camera.

What you can do is take a small section of the photo and post it at it's actual size.

Note the example below.

At the top, is the full image frame but it's downsized to 400 pixels wide so that it will display and load quickly. It shows the basic picture...but much detail is lost because it has been radically shrunk.

At the bottom, is a small section of that SAME photo. I extracted a section that is 400 pixels wide from the full size image. Then I posted it at 400 pixels wide. So you are seeing a 400 pixel wide crop, posted at 400 pixels. You are seeing the cropped section posted at 100% of it's true size...a 100% crop.

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:18 PM   #4

Justin & Brent ~

I thought that someone might come back at me with something like: "Why, you big camera toting dummy" :-).

Seriously, though, I appreciate (more than could be made known) the time, effort & thoughtfulness behind your coming to my aid. The forum family, here, is truly a great one, and I am soooooo glad (and fortunate) to be a part of it.

This is, indeed, a might fine place.

________
Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:16 AM   #5

That's what I found when I joined here not too long ago.

And I'm glad to be able to help others whenever I can.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote