Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 14, 2003, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Best camera for moving subjects?

I apologize for my bad English, it's not my native language, but I manage 8)

I'm looking for a camera that captures sharp pictures. I work with horses and would like to photograph them. But, as you probably know, animals don't wait around until you take a picture. They're in constant movement. So I need a camera that still takes nice sharp pictures of them. Even when they're running around.

I was thinking of the Canon Powershot a300. But I'm not that technical. Maybe you could look at some specifications for me and tell me if this is the camera that I'm looking for.

I'm not rich, or else I would have bought the Canon EOS :lol:

p.s. I do not want a camera that neads battery changes every 2 hours.
Shoshone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2003, 11:06 AM   #2

Taking pictures of moving objects with a digital camera is a matter of technique. I call the process "tracking". You depress the shutter button halfway to lock in the focus start tracking the object and then press the shutter button the rest of the way. I learn to practice on moving cars. Practice will help you with learning to capture those moments.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 11:23 AM   #3

Thank you. With our current camera (Sony, Mavica-FD85 or something) it works the same way. You press the shutterbutton halfway down, you track the subject and then you click it. But it has also something to do with the shutter time. This technique does not work for every camera. I have used a camera (can't remember which one) the same way and the pics still sucked.

The powershot 300 also has a delay...but i will use the same technique u described and on top of that, it also has a very short shutter time.

So I guess I'm doing the right thing

But I had one more small question...which compact flash card do I need for the powershot a300? Or all they all the same?
Shoshone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 11:28 AM   #4

I am sorry I can not answer the last part. Check on Steve's review of the camera under technical specs.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote