Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 15, 2003, 3:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
On to your pictures. Something which struck me which others (I don't believe) mentioned. The professional ads seem to use the reflections to their advantage. In the second one, they are higher up looking down at the car, which increases the reflections on the hood (and roof, making its edge stand out.) I don't know if this is a common thing in car adds, but it caught my eye. Its already been pointed out that the wet road in the first on also has reflections on it.
Yeah, that certainly adds a cool effect to good car pictures. But, with a white car, I'm incapable of doing that. A clean white car and a highly polished, waxed, and detailed white car look just about the same. It's my only regret about getting white this time around instead of black like my last one (I never kept the last one clean enough for that to be effective anyway ). The wet road thing, however, I didn't notice. Both pictures have the car on a wet road. Hmm...

One thing I have noticed, however, is that in almost all car pictures from the manufacturer, reflections block your view of the driver (assuming the car is moving, as in these pictures). I've got a polarizing filter for my camera, so it's one thing I think I can get into my pictures. I just need someone to volunteer to drive the car! I actually got one cool picture of my last Integra moving, I think I've got it posted online somewhere... (I was driving and my friend took the pictures, though.)
RobertMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 3:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
This may help you shooting some better carpics:

1. Get someone to drive your car and cut some corners, while you have to shoot with the sun on the car and in your back/side. You may stand in the shadow, but not the car. Photo is all about light!
2. You have to come closer to your car - zoom or move.
3. You have to pan you camera while shooting at an low aperture - remember to push the button WHILE pano the digicam in the same direction. The shutter doesn't have to be that fast. The pan will freeze your car and give the background some directional blur.
4. home again - you have to put some saturation on your shots, lighten up shadows and crop them if needed.

I've been looking forward to trying to "track the car" thing to blur the background and keep the car in focus. I'm sure I'll screw it up and blur everything, but it'll be fun to try.

As far as how far back I am, I took the pictures with the intention of cropping them down if I had to, but wanted to provide myself a background in case I wanted it. With 5 megapixels, I can crop off a fair amount of the outside and still easily print an 8x10 if it if I wanted. One picture I seriously intended to crop is #7 with my shadow in it for obvious reasons.

Thanks all!
Old May 15, 2003, 4:01 PM   #13

Okay, they weren't online but they are now. Sony ImageStation's preview crops look all fuzzy again, so I'll just link you guys to the originals (since no one seems to have an ImageStation account, which surprised me because it's the image server of choice on all the car forums I'm on).

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0.jpg.orig.jpg

Since my friend Brian can't drive a stick and I don't trust him that much to drive my car, he was taking the pictures and I was in the car. These are three of about 15 pictures we took, some in my camera's burst mode. These three are the better ones. We experimented with shutter speeds a bit and decided to have longer shutter speeds to blur the wheels a little bit. I've learned more about photography now and there's some things I'd do differently (I might re-do this scenario with my new Integra).

Also you can see in these pictures the subtle differences between a '94-'97 Integra and a '98-'01 Integra (like my new one). I've come to hate the old front end. Plus, black cars may polish up nice, but try keeping them clean for more than a day! Hence the reason I bought white this time around (and a GS-R since it's a much better/faster Integra).

These pictures are a little better than my new ones.
Old May 15, 2003, 4:15 PM   #14

Okay, since that didn't work, I've created a new account for everyone.

Username: Digicamuser
Password: 123
E-mail (just in case): [email protected]

With that in mind, here are my albums:

My new car pics
My Old Car Pics
All of my stuff

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2003, 4:49 PM   #15

Robert,

The thing I noticed the most about the commercial shots was the use of reflected light to highlight the curves and subtleties of the car.

I think that part of your problem may be in getting that same effect with a white car...also most of the shots seemed to be taken on a bright day but with the car in the shadow of a hill or something.

Here is a picture (not good at all) of my car...It really was done in haste...I just wanted to quickly post a shot of it on the web to show it to a friend (the car, not any photo skills :lol: )...

But I do like how the light reflected off it...I used a polarizing filter to take some of the reflection off the windshield.

I hesitate to post it here on a photography site...so much wrong with the shot...background too busy...hard to get a sense of motion when you park a car sideways in a driveway :? ...not tack sharp focus (handheld and the polarized filter slowed the shot down to 1/20 sec. because of a gray day)...background needs blurred (seems hard to do with the digicam...DOF seems kind of deep even with the aperture wide open.

rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 7:27 PM   #16

I'd think it's the choice of lighting, location and angle. Mine aren't professional shots either, but I did get a few friends to help me get these shots:

The rest of my car pics can be found here:
http://www.tnknet.com/msport.html

I wish I could dedicate more time to motorsports, but my work (weddings) keeps me busy, and my friends no longer have the time to help out... sigh...

Btw, those shots were all taken with my old E-10 a few years ago, I wish I had some time to shoot autocross and other events with my current equipment.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote