Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:35 PM   #1

I want to make a slideshow of pictures with music and burn it to a DVD for family viewing. Do you know of any programs or internet sites that offer this service.

Thanks,

~Belle~
~Belle~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:11 PM   #2

Belle,

Proshow Gold is a fairly popular tool for creating exactly what you're talking about. Adobe makes several tools but they're a bit more expensive and harder to use. Proshow is fairly simple.

Now, the one caveat is this: when you create a movie file (regardless of what software package you use) the resolution drops quite a bit. Video streams just don't have or require the same resolution as a still picture does.

I'm very picky about my image quality so I don't like the end product out of any of the products - and I've tried severral. Other people don't seem to care. Proshow gold has a trial version I suggest downloading it and giving it a try - see if you like the final product and the interface.

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:15 PM   #3

Microsoft has a program called "Photo Story 3" that allows you to make a slide show with pictures and music. It is very easy to use. Photo Story is free, but the software to burn it to a DVD is $20. Here are the links:

hhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...yactives.mspxm

I'm sure there are other programs that would do the same and possibly more as well. This is just one that I'm familiar with.

techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:50 PM   #4

There are different ways to put a slideshow on a DVD. Both suggestions are good ones but they are for different use.

If you want a slideshow to run on your TV you have to make a movie of the slideshow. ProShow Gold is a good program for that. As JohnG points out the quality isn't great.

Another way to show your photos on the TV is to just copy the images to the DVD into the root directory – not in folders. Then you can view high quality images on the TV with most DVD players and use the remote to scroll through the images. I don't know of a way to include music.

You can make a slideshow to run on the computer with several free programs like Photo Story 3. You can include music and have the show auto-run. You also get high quality images. I don't think a slideshow made with Photo Story can be played on your TV with a standard DVD player though.

You can use the M$ Media Center software to hook your computer to the TV. That way you can use a simple and high quality program like Photo Story to make the slideshow and watch it on the TV. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...connecttv.mspx

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:59 PM   #5

Thanks everyone....

I downloaded the microsoft story maker and I love it. I have already made a mini video of my son. I want to make a long disk for my husband's family. I really think they will enjoy it.

Thanks,

~Belle~

Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:04 PM   #6

In my opinion Photdex Proshow Gold is the worst software I've ever used and I've been trying to use it for over a year. I keep hoping the newer versions will fix the problems that I've had with it from the beginning. Besides crashing and half the DVDs being unreadable, I've tried different DVD players and I even took the suggestion of one of their tech support people and bought a new DVD writer and still have the same problems. My biggest gripe is when you highlight a thumbnail on the menu it jumps back and highlights the first thumbnail.If you're fast you may be able to get it to play the thumbnail you want.

I would highly recommend against buying Proshow Gold. The reason I'm in this newsgroup now is to find other software to create slideshows with. My year of free upgrades has expired and they never fixed the problems.

Henry
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:50 AM   #7

Ulead's Picture Show is probably the best out there at that level. Try their download for a month.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:39 AM   #8

I downloaded Photoshow 3... very nice program. I sprung for the $20 DVD plug in and have experienced some minor problems with it. On one DVD player, my burned DVD shows one or two "bumps" where the picture freeezes or jumps. On a second DVD player, there are lots of drop out, skips and freezes. On the DVD drive on my computer, there were two similar problems in a nine minute slide show.

Next time I'll convert the CD music to MP3s to reduce file size and record at the slowest rate to see if that helps. Running the show from the hard drive is flawless, so I'm certain the problems are a result of DVD burning, not Photoshow 3.

My DVD blanks are cheap ones, and I suspect that has a lot to do with the problems.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:26 PM   #9

Thanks Wildman.

I have not downloaded the plug in yet. If you can get it to working right, please let me know what your secret is.

Thanks,

~Belle~
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:27 PM   #10

I just burned a slightly modified version of my big slideshow with the plugin (about 9 minutes) using MP3 music and not saving the pictures to the DVD disk. The result was a flawless playback on one of my DVD players. The disk still had some problems on a second DVD player... music quit about 80% through the slide show. This player is built into an Akai TV set. This one has always been cranky. During loading of even rented DVD movies, it will sometimes nag that it can't load the disk. A tweaking the disk usually makes the disk play.

I suspect there are compatibility issues among DVD players and disks. My cheap Apex one (Wal-Mart $79 three years ago) is pretty good with any disk I've tried. I'm beginning to believe the problems are with firmware in the players, not with the plugin. Might be worth spending $20 to find out if it'll work for you.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote