Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:29 PM   #21
Administrator

I've seen a lot of threads on this subject (wafer yield and cost of making larger sensors), with participation by individuals in the business.

The general belief seems to be that each time the sensor size doubles, it will cost a manufacturer approximately 4 times as much to produce (due to wafer defects impacting yield).

Now, that doesn't mean that the camera itself will cost that much more, depending on the percentage of the cost the sensor makes up. It may be a small percentage of total cost, depending on the camera.

But, I've seen industry insiders very surprised that Canon was able to produce the 5D at it's current price point and still make a profit on it, speculating that Canon found a way to reduce the number of defects typically found.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:41 PM   #22
DBB

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I've seen a lot of threads on this subject (wafer yield and cost of making larger sensors), with participation by individuals in the business.

The general belief seems to be that each time the sensor size doubles, it will cost a manufacturer approximately 4 times as much to produce (due to wafer defects impacting yield).

Now, that doesn't mean that the camera itself will cost that much more, depending on the percentage of the cost the sensor makes up. It may be a small percentage of total cost, depending on the camera.

But, I've seen industry insiders very surprised that Canon was able to produce the 5D at it's current price point and still make a profit on it, speculating that Canon found a way to reduce the number of defects typically found.
Well, I spent 5K on the D1x, and while it's a tough machine that I still use as a back-up, it's sensor is smaller then that of the D50.

I realise that there is more to this question then this simple and Outdated answer above. But if the sensor costs four times more, four times more of what?

Lord, I shall bite the bullit and hunt Google and them come back with an "arrogant," and "authoratative" post...:?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:49 PM   #23
Administrator

DBB wrote:
Quote:
I realise that there is more to this question then this simple and Outdated answer above. But if the sensor costs four times more, four times more of what?
4 times more to produce compared to one half it's size. ;-)

IOW, each time the sensor size doubles, given wafer defects, the general consensus is that sensor costs will quadruple.

Of course, it's all relative to current costs of manufacturing given current technology (and I have no idea what those costs are right now for a given sensor). I'm not an expert on the subject either. But, I've seen a lot of forum threads going into a *lot* of detail on cost of manufacturer over the years from people in the industry.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote