Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:19 AM   #1

Just curious -- maybe this is okay. I received my Canon SD-500 from Dell today and the two things I noticed out of the box was that the only thing keeping the camera box from bouncing around during shipment in the oversized shipping box was a single piece of crumpled packing paper. Also, the camera itself did not come in sealed plastic wrap. Is this the standard way of packaging? No sealed box and poor insulation? I'm wondering if I should return the product.*
exmaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:49 AM   #2

IMO someone has already returned the product. Sounds like you got a poorly repackaged item somebody sent back to Dell and they have resold.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:36 PM   #3

So long as the innter box (the camera's box) does not actually sustain shocks from bouncinginside the outer box (shipping carton) the loose packing is OK. Ideally, should one side of the outer box be deformed,it is OK for the inner box to migrate to the other side within, andthe padding should not be so dense as to cause the inner box to also be deformed. Proper unscientific packing has the outer box bearing all stresses within reasonable limits. Itcan bedefined in simple terms such as an outer box of cardboard of a certain quality where the inner box fits with four inches of space on all six sides.

Scientific packing (not practical on a large scale in today's business world) has the outer box and padding so designed so both the outer and inner boxes share external stresses but the inner box does not deform within the stress design limit of the packing method. Describing an example would be lengthy and beyond the scope of this reply.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:12 PM   #4

There are actually two things going on here, but yes, that is how Dell usually ships cameras, except when they do it worse.

1. Dell and Gencoare moronsell outsources the fulfillment of camera distribution to a slimebag company called Genco. The packing is needlessly awful. (And Genco does re-stock and re-ship customer returns to other customers, though if your camera and accessories look new and unpacked, have all the stickers and tags, etc --that's probably not the case for you. See point #2.)

You're actually lucky you got a piece of paper inside the box ... my last one had nothing at all, so the camera box was free to bounce around inside the shipping box.

Of course, ecost shipped my first Sony (years ago) IN THE SONY BOX with a plastic envelope around it - no outside box. That was my last purchase from them.

2. Canon has started not sealing their camera boxes. My last Canon was new, but there was no seal on the box at all ... not even a little plastic sticker over the opening.

As to this: "So long as the innter box (the camera's box) does not actually sustain shocks from bouncinginside the outer box (shipping carton) the loose packing is OK."

The item inside will, inevitably, get knocked around. All packages are sorted using equipment, and are always dropped, etc. There's no need to ship that way - why risk damage over a penny's worth of packing and a nickel's worth of labor? It could easily cause damage that is not immediately apparent. And even if only one customer out of hundreds has a problem - it's a big pain in the neck, and an unnecessary problem.

buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:12 PM   #5

duplicate post, please delete
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote