Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:04 PM   #1

I have a decision to make and need help. If it is still available, I can get the Lumix lz2 with 6X stabilized zoom for about $110 new or the older Lumix 2 meg with a 12x stabilized zoom for less. I have other cameras and want the Lumix for the stabilzed zoom only.

Here is where I need help. If I take a pic with the 5 meg 6X zoom and crop it 50%, then enlarge to it to normal size (let's say 4X6), would the resulting pic quality be equal to a 12x 2 megapixel or better, or would it be worse? I may be wrong, but my thinking is that the 5 meg captures 2.5 times the res of the 2 meg, so a 50% crop would be about equal to 2.5 megs. If so, the 6x zoom would seem better because it is less likely to blur at full zoom.

Am I incorrect and which would you recommend?

Thanks

bekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:32 PM   #2

I think you are correct, I would suggest you wait for one of the smarter posters here however. I think that they would be similar, however you would of course have less Post Processing with the 2MP, but the 5MP probably has more features.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:09 PM   #3

Thanks.

There are other advantages to the 5 meg too. As it is a much newer model it is much faster and so forth. I actually may be able to sort of test my assumption because I have a Kodak 6490 that has 4 meg 10X zoom, When set on "best" it produces a 4 meg image, but when set on good it produces a 2 meg image. So, I can try comparing a "best" at 5 x zoom to a good at 10X. We may both be wrong, though, since JPG compression from raw might not be exactly 50% for the two. I am not sure on that at all.

Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:26 PM   #4

Could you define what you mean by 50% crop ?

If you resize to 50%, that will be 50%height x 50%width, ie only 1/4 of the information , so 3/4 of the pixels will be binned.

That image is now just over 1megapixel..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:05 PM   #5

I meant keeping a 4X6 ratio for both. For example, from the largest image (5 meg)at 6x zoomI would first select a section 4X6, for example. I would then blow it up to 8X12, in essence halving its resolution. I would then compare that to one taken at 8x12 with the 12x zoom 2 meg camera.

Does that make sense? BTW, the 4x6 are arbitrary as an example.

Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:00 PM   #6

I think i understand what you want now..

Perhaps what you actually mean is this ,and I have no answer, it was asked before in a Sony forum and I am not sure it was ever resolved..

The smaller mpcamera gets closer to the subject due to the better zoom , filling theframe with the subject. It may have less pixels, but they are all contributing to the required view..

The larger mp camera can not get as close, it has more pixels , but most of them will not be in the required view, instead they make up the surroundingsand are unwanted.

You want to use an image editor to remove the redundant surrounding pixels giving the same viewas taken by the older camera.

In effect once printed to thesamesize photo, eachshould have effectively the same viewpoint.

However the question is, just how much did you have to crop to achieve this ?

Is there enough pixels left to equal or better the 2mp camera to make this worthwhile ..

Will the cropped 5mp photo have so few pixels left that the 2mp photo is better ?

Interesting ....

Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:09 PM   #7

That is exactly what I meant, but did not express myself very well. As I said in an earlier post above, I can test it, perhaps, using my Kodak 6490. I have a feeling that at 4x6 prints it might be difficult to see much difference. At larger sizes I am afraid the differences wil be obvioius.

If I try it I will let you know the results.

thanks

Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:22 PM   #8

It would be interesting to see the effect.

I love zoom and am always wanting more.

If the newer superzooms at 6mp or 7mp can give a decent pic cropped down to 2 or 3mp and I know from my old Casio that 3mp isgood for 12x8s then that would give me a little extra zoom when needed..

Umm, just checked the H5 has smart zoom which can give .. 16x (5MP), 18x (3MP), 57x (VGA).

Combined with a x1.7 tcon, that would be x27 , x30.6 and x97 !