Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:52 PM   #1

We just got back from a kayaking/camping trip in Yellowstone Lake, the Snake River, and Lake Jackson. I took my 20D and gear in a Pelican case along with my tripod. This post is to relate my experiences trying to take photos from a kayak without dumping anything over the side and also keeping the gear dry.
I took a 24-70mm and a 80-400mm lens, filters, spare batteries and cards. In addition to the Pelican case, I took several dry bags in several sizes. The Pelican was strapped to the kayak while my camera was normally in one of the dry bags attatched to the kayak for easy access, (well, not really easy...)
The major problem for me was deciding which lens to use. I was not comfortable opening the Pelican while in the kayak, so the lens mounted when I got in the kayak was the one I used until I got out. Most of the time I used the 24-70, so I missed many wildlife shots. When I had the 80-400 mounted, I didn't see any wildlife...
The constantly moving kayak can make framing a shot difficult, and in the fast moving parts of the Snake River, I left the camera in the dry bag, (missed some really close bald eagle shots on the Snake).
If anyone has any specific questions, I'll try to answer them.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:30 PM   #2

Don't have any questions in particular but if I had to do those kind of trips often, I would get myself a water-tite case.

Looking forward to seeong some of those shots.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:30 PM   #3

posted twice
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:44 PM   #4

nlp,
The Pelican case is waterproof and floats. The dry bags are waterproof for a short period, but will not float with the camera inside.
And yes, I will be posting some photos...
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:13 AM   #5

I was talking about the camera itself - as in underwater case.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:48 AM   #6

I take my cameras - XactiC6 and a Panasonic Z5 - each time I kayak, and that's about 4 times a week. I agree that getting them out of a dry bag is a pain. I have come to the conclusion that I now will leave one out and keep one protected until I need it. The Xacti fits in my PDF pocket and that's real handy. Haven't lost one to wet yet.

Jean
rcknchr is offline   Reply With Quote