Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:41 PM   #1

I would like to hear a variety of opinions on your experiences with various ways you have enhanced your photographic skills - especially those of you who work in other fields full time.

The New York Institute of Photography is one such program.

What approaches to learning or improving your photographic skills, generally, and digital photography specifically, have you all experienced?

Of course, there are a number of methods we all use:
  1. Self-taught, trial and error - just doing it - reading books and mags and web sites. [/*]
  2. Photography workshops, 1-day 1-week, as opportunities and $$$ permit. Which of these have been most worthwhile? [/*]
  3. Web-based courses. What's out there? Which ones have you used? Which ones are most worthwhile?[/*]
Are there otherlearning approaches?

gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:11 PM   #2

I have taken several non credit courses at a local community college. Some were very good, others not as good, but I have come away from all learning something. They are very cheap also, some are 6 nights some are 8hour saturday classes and some are 4 nights. the cost ranged from $22 to $84. I would love to go to one of the workshops I see advertised, but there are noneoffered in my area.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:13 PM   #3

gfmucci wrote:
Quote:
I would like to hear a variety of opinions on your experiences with various ways you have enhanced your photographic skills - especially those of you who work in other fields full time.

The New York Institute of Photography is one such program.

What approaches to learning or improving your photographic skills, generally, and digital photography specifically, have you all experienced?

Of course, there are a number of methods we all use:
  1. Quote:
  2. Self-taught, trial and error - just doing it - reading books and mags and web sites. [/*]
  3. Photography workshops, 1-day 1-week, as opportunities and $$$ permit. Which of these have been most worthwhile? [/*]
  4. Web-based courses. What's out there? Which ones have you used? Which ones are most worthwhile?[/*]
Quote:
Are there otherlearning approaches?
It's called the "Information Superhighway" for a reason. Try the links here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=54

Although they are related to Studio Lighting, each link also has many other areas to explore (each covering different aspects of photography).

#1 has a lot going for it......it's digital after all, instant feedback & costs nothing once the initial tools are bought (unlike film).

#2 I have found to be a marketing tool for the promoters (many who are just skilled in marketing).

#3 is closely related to #2.

I would still go to the links listed & study everything at each one. You will find so much to do & try, it will take you months to go through it all.

I'm not dismissing the NY Institute of Photography by any means....I just think that you can learn everything they teach by alternate methods (although, probably not in such a structured way).
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:32 PM   #4

I still haven't learned serious digital photography! :roll:

Aside from taking a mail course (no internet back in my day, by cracky!) from the School of Modern Photography when I was a kid, I would go along with your answer #1.

I think what stopped me "back in the day" more than anything else was that to really produce good prints, you had to use darkroom techniques -- i.e. develop them yourself. No way I had the money even for those Cibechrome(sp?) kits.

With digital, the "developing" is a lot faster and easier! I think that I've read more material on post-processing techniques than on actual photography! Maybe that's why I need the post-processing...:idea:

I have gotten a lot of good stuff from other posters on this site and have followed some of their recommended links to information on other sites.

I tend to be a "problem" learner rather than a "holistic" learner. If I have a specific problem with something, then I look for information that addresses that problem. I should do more of the holistic stuff, though. Maybe then I wouldn't run into so many specific problems.

At any rate, My information sources will likely remain books, web articles/tutorials and plain old trial and error.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote