Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:03 PM   #1

Just wondering are we still better off with a CRT monitor for digital photography?
People who uses laptops the screen is LCD...so does it really matter?
What LCD monitor are recommended for Digtial Photography?
What Specs should for we look for?
I'm asking because I'm planning on getting a LCD.

Thanks...
Guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:45 PM   #2

Both actually have good things to offer.
My solution: BOTH!

I have an LCD, which at times presents problems of even lighting across the screen ("uniformity", read LCD reviews on tomshardware.com and you'll see what I'm talking about) This means that a pic will look slightly different at various positions on the screen. Sometimes I have to tilt my LCD to see certain textures, especially with dark photos.

I also have my computer hooked up to a 27" television. I did this mostly for movies and doing slideshows of pics for people, but at least it's got uniformity going for it. The detail definately lacks though, because of course it's a low-def TV. A CRT monitor would have ALOT better image quality, but then again a 27" CRT isn't $250

If you had the BIG bucks to spend, NEC released an LED backlit LCD sometime last year, to the tune of $4000 I think. Traditional LCDs are backlit with flourescent tubes, which accounts for the lack of uniformity. This new type of monitor was designed specifically for graphics editors, the 48-LED array behind the screen provides very even lighting and viewability from almost all angles. Price has dropped I'm sure, but still probably well outside of the range you're considering. Even so, it's what will be in the future, 5 years from now most LCDs will have LED backlights!

If you're going to replace your monitor, no matter what, RESEARCH!! Read reviews and customer testimonials! You will be so much happier in the end!
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:18 AM   #3

Look at the screen resolution on the monitors you're comparing. In general, dollar for dollar, the CRT will offer greater resolution for a similar price. There are great hi-res LCD's out there but a a much higher price.

However, like everything else in electronics, I expect that new technology and competition will soon make higher-res LCD's more affordable.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:03 AM   #4
DBB

I switched to an LCD a number of years ago. In my opinion it's not as good as a CRT, but the differene is marginal. I am quite content to work with it...

I switched because optomistrists pretty much universally say that the LCD is much better for your eyes than a CRT. That's enough for me. Moreover todays LCD's actually have better resolving power - it's in color that they are marginally inferior. I can't imagine switching back after comparing the vision loss I suffered with the CRT and the stability of my vision after switching...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:10 AM   #5

I will say get a nice > 20" LCD and you will be very happy. Dell has some nice ones. And they are dirt cheap if you use coupon codes to get rebates. Apple ones are real nice. Once you use one you won't go back to old CRTs.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:31 AM   #6

There are several issues involved here.
- Good CRTs are very hard to find now. The tubes in them are no longer made and therefor you have to buy a referb unit. This makes them much cheaper than new, but harder to find. I recently got a high-end NCR CRT unit (same tube as the LaCie Blue monitor) that is very good.
- Your standards. My standards are very high, so few LCDs are good enough for me. I've tried a "good" dell lcd (Same innards as the apple wide screen) and was very disappointed. Even after profiling the darks were too dark and the colors were not right. But maybe your standards are not as high as mine (that is not intended to be insulting, you probably have higher standards than me in other things.)
- Now much money you are willing to spend. There are good LCDs out there, but they cost well over $1000, to upwards of around $3000. That is a lot of money.

LCDs have trouble displaying the color they are supposed to display, and they have trouble with brightness. Both in uniformity across the display and just in getting it rigth. Often they are way to bright, but then reducing them to a more reasonable brightness causes the darks to be to dark and lack detail.

Definitely do what wizbummer suggested and and check out the reviews of LCDs on tomshardware.com. Even if you aren't going to spend that much on an LCD, the articles cover the terms and issues quite well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:50 AM   #7
DBB

eric s wrote:
Quote:
There are several issues involved here.
- Good CRTs are very hard to find now. The tubes in them are no longer made and therefor you have to buy a referb unit. This makes them much cheaper than new, but harder to find. I recently got a high-end NCR CRT unit (same tube as the LaCie Blue monitor) that is very good.
- Your standards. My standards are very high, so few LCDs are good enough for me. I've tried a "good" dell lcd (Same innards as the apple wide screen) and was very disappointed. Even after profiling the darks were too dark and the colors were not right. But maybe your standards are not as high as mine (that is not intended to be insulting, you probably have higher standards than me in other things.)
- Now much money you are willing to spend. There are good LCDs out there, but they cost well over $1000, to upwards of around $3000. That is a lot of money.

LCDs have trouble displaying the color they are supposed to display, and they have trouble with brightness. Both in uniformity across the display and just in getting it rigth. Often they are way to bright, but then reducing them to a more reasonable brightness causes the darks to be to dark and lack detail.

Definitely do what wizbummer suggested and and check out the reviews of LCDs on tomshardware.com. Even if you aren't going to spend that much on an LCD, the articles cover the terms and issues quite well.

Eric
Hi Eric

To tell you the truth, my little 17 inch SONY has none of the problems you talk about. As my first post indicates, I believe CRT's ARE maginally better - but after calibrating and adjusting, I find that color accuracy is just the same.

The difference that I see, is, for lack of a better word, a form of "grain" in LCD's - Whereas CRT's are crisper, and the colors seem to have more "depth."

I can deal with this one problem. :-)

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:32 PM   #8

Hi all. Iam looking to get an lcd monitor to replace my 17" CRT (nothing wrong with it, but I have the offer for one and I would like the desk space back).

I know I have lots of reviews to read, but does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for, in either a 17" or 19" lcd. ie contrast ratio, brightness, native screen size etc?

Help and opinions much appreciated as I will be going to PC World/Argos/Tesco tomorrow.

Thanks again

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:56 PM   #9
Administrator

Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all. Iam looking to get an lcd monitor to replace my 17" CRT (nothing wrong with it, but I have the offer for one and I would like the desk space back).
My wife had the same idea for me. She claimed my monitor took up to much of my desk and bought me an LCD to save space.

After seeing how contrasty the images looked on it (*way* too much contrast, with dark areas too dark and bright areas too bright), and a quick attempt at trying to "eyeball" available adjustments, I gave it back and suggested that she use it instead.

I'll use more desktop space and stick with a CRT.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:04 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
My wife had the same idea for me. She claimed my monitor took up to much of my desk and bought me an LCD to save space.

After seeing how contrasty the images looked on it (*way* too much contrast, with dark areas too dark and bright areas too bright), and a quick attempt at trying to "eyeball" available adjustments, I gave it back and suggested that she use it instead.

I'll use more desktop space and stick with a CRT.

I got a Samsung Syncmaster 710N about 18months ago and never looked back, I think it done me eyes good too. I had a few crt monitors over the years last one being a 19". Nothing wrong with them, main reason I changed was for more space. I don't think I could go back to one, theres a good guide to on what to look for here ---> http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/tftbuyers

HTH

Killie is offline   Reply With Quote