Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:37 PM   #11

Did you install the XVID codec as I instructed in my previous post? (The keywords are highlighted in yellow, you can't miss them!)
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:57 AM   #12

Woops, I see I missed a step. I will to this tonight. Thanks for your consistent support
iberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:39 AM   #13

just download and install quicktime alternative.
not a bloated software like the official qt. Once installed even WMP will play mov files.
gold4knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:49 AM   #14

I have converted MOV > AVI > MPG this way only a few times. The resolution at 10% of original file size seems quite crappy. I thinkAVI is probably the solution. With school starting & putting in a wireless network I have had no time to even take movies, not to mention download & convert!

More posts will come when I get further...
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:04 PM   #15

I'm not sure why nobody mentioned it yet but all you need is RAD Video Tools
http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

I had the same problem and workaround it by converting from mov to avi using RAD Video Tools and selecting the Microsoft encoder.
That will play even on a plain vanilla XP installation.

peroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:44 PM   #16

Great! I will have to try that & let y'all know. This forum is really super!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:51 PM   #17

iberg,

You can change the video quality setting in Windows Movie Maker to a certain extent:

(3) "Finish movie"

"Save to my computer"

choose name and folder for new video -> <Next>

click "Show more choices ..."

click "other settings"

I don't know what is the pixel size of your original video, but to make small 320 X 240 pixel video of decent quality, you need at least 500 kbps video bitrate. You have two choices from "other settings" menu:

"web for broadband" (320 X 240, 512 kbps)

"high quality video (small)" (320 X 240, variable bitrate but I got about 750 kbps on a test video)

Pity you cannot manually set the video bitrate on Windows Movie Maker (but this is probably too complicated for an average user anyway).

The second choice, IMO, is the better choice, and it will probably make a video of larger filesize than the first one. A small pixel size video will always look pixelated when zoom to full screen (probably much worse on a computer monitor). You may drag the media player screen to enlarge it a little (like up to 200%) and maintain decent video quality.

Any choices for "pocketPC" will have terrible quality when watched on the computer, even without zooming. I don't recommend it.

Any other choices not mentioned will make a larger video (640 X 480, or larger), but the filesize will be much larger and transcoding takes longer. In case your original video has smaller pixel size (like 320 X 240), transcoding into a larger (eg. 640 X 480) video will definitely make the video quality worse.

You also have to remember: if your original video has poor quality (lots of motion artefacts, pixelation, blurry edges etc.), they will not improve, if not get worse, after transcoding. However, if you shrink the pixel size of the video (eg. from original 640 X 480 to 320 X 240 pixels), while maintaining a high enough video bitrate, sometimes it helps to smooth out the video.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:15 PM   #18

Okay, I will try that also