Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1

Our new digi cam (Kodak V603) saves the movies as "MOV" files, which don't play on microsoft windows media player. When I email the movies or send CD's my friends often say we don't want to install a new program on our already jammed PC. Is there any way to convert these movies? Any suggestions would help. Thanks
iberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:02 PM   #2

Quick fixes without converting the movie files:

Use one of these two FREEWARE media players - both DO NOT REQUIRE installation!

VLC player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Media player classic
:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=82303

(developer site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli)

Both have built-in support of MOV/ MP4 file formats without installation of codecs.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:13 PM   #3

Awesome, I will check them tonight!!
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:10 AM   #4

dear blindsight,

Iran mpc2kxp6490.zip and saved the mov as mpg, i opened the mpg (using media player) and it was not recognised, see error below.

Media Type 0:
--------------------------
Video: MPEG4 Video 640x480
AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: Unknown GUID Name {7634706D-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
formattype: FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO {E06D80E3-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
bFixedSizeSamples: 1
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 164

I tried it with your other suggestion VLC ((wxwidgets interface, 2006 VideoLanTeam)and got a similar result:

file> wizard
transcode/save to file
existing playlist item (select file)
video>transcode video>codec mpeg4>bit rate 1024
Encapsulation format>raw(already chosen)
Save file to: abcd.mpg

play abcd.mpg on media player; media player encountered an unknown error

am I doing something wrong??

Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:37 PM   #5

OK. Maybe I am wrong about VLC player - it plays MP4 files but maybe not MOV (Quicktime) files. I know for sure that Media Player Classic (MPC) supports MOV/ MP4 files, it is just that the codec support has not been switched on. I can't find any options to activate Quicktime/ MP4 formats in VLC player.

In this case, forget about VLC player. This is what you need to do with Media Player classic (MPC):

Top menu: "View" -> "Options"
Click "Player" if the tree is not expanded yet -> you should now see four branches
Click "Formats"
Go down the list and tick "Quicktime file" (when you highlight this item, you should see the file extensions associated with QT - mov, qt, amr)

I am quite sure this should work for MOV files which are specific for QuickTime codec. However, in case this doesn't work, try activating "MPEG4 file" and "MPEG4 Audio file", because I see "MPEG4" in the error message you posted (QuickTime IS a form of MPEG4 video).

MPC can also play many other video file formats that Windows Media Player cannot play (or cannot play without specific codecs installed) - you can go back to this list and activate other video formats so that MPC will play them.

The following is a useful FREEWARE to check what type of video and audio codec (COmpressor-DECompressor, or sets of computer codes used in digital video production and storage) your video uses:

AVICodec

http://avicodec.duby.info/

After installation, you can access this program from the right-click menu (use mouse to highlight the video filename, right-click to get menu for "AVICodec: detailed information"; alternatively you can check a whole folder of videos by highlightling the folder name and click "Browse with AVICodec" on the right-click menu). The video and audio codec information provided is more easily understood (eg. "DivX codec", "QuickTime codec" instead of "MPEG-4" etc.) - then you can go back to the above MPC options to activate the corresponding video format support.

To me, using these third-party media players is the simpliest solution to your question to watch the MOV video (unless you are a Mac user, QT player is standard). You can always convert MOV files to popular DVD formats (for burning) or other video formats like MPG and WMV that Windows media player supports. You can use paid video converters/ editors to do this, or you can use several freeware programs (eg. MP4CAM2AVI, Windows Movie Maker) to do this (WMM only make WMV files but it comes free with Windows XP). However, the steps involved are more complicated. Actually this topic of digital video conversion/ editing has come up many times in several forums (eg. "Sanyo", "Other Makes"), since more digital cameras make videos but many people don't understand how to play them or what to do with them.

I hope this solves your problem, good luck!

Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:37 AM   #6

Quicktime isn't a HUGE program, and it's advantages for web video are numerous. For instance it supports the new H.264 compression which is brilliant, and loads up very quickly. On the Apple trailers website an HD Spiderman trailer at 720p loaded in under a minute on 2mb broadband. If I was you I'd try to get them to download the iTunes Quicktime package.
marksandspencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:49 AM   #7

I'm no good at persuading & afeered at the configuration, setup & conflict questions which might arrise. So I plan to try to convert the mov to mpg tonight using your new suggesions...

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:05 AM   #8

I am not going to spend time describing everything in detail in case you decide this is too much hassle.

You need two programs to prepare the video so that it can be burnt to DVD or further converted to WMV (Windows Media, which is supported by all Windows and can be watched by Windows Media Player):

(1) MP4CAM2AVI (FREEWARE)

http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/

(2) XVID codec (FREEWARE) - you need to install this MPEG4 codec first before doing anything else, otherwise your programs will not recognize the files. Installation: double-click the downloaded file and follow the instruction.

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/ (by Koepi)

The first step is the same whether you are burning it on DVD or whether you are converting the video for sharing with friends. Since Windows does not support Apple's QuickTime MOV file format, you have to "convert" the video to a format that Windows recognizes first, using MP4CAM2AVI.

Open MP4CAM2AVI
choose folder where the video file is
"source file" - choose "MP4, MOV"
"audio format" - choose any one of the "Lame MP3"
"target directory" = where you want to put the file (usually where the original file is, by default)
"frozen frames (mpeg-4 asp only) - use "leave data as is"
press <Start> button

After conversion you have an AVI file that you can watch with Windows Media Player or the players I suggested, because you have installed the XviD codec. Unless you ask your friends to install the XviD codec, they won't be able to watch this converted AVI video.

Therefore you need to convert it to WMV so that their native Windows Media Player can play it without installing anything else. For this you can use the Windows Movie Maker (WMM) that comes with Windows XP.

I am not going through all the keystrokes for the "how to". This is an excellent step-by-step guide from Microsoft you should refer to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...r/default.mspx

The most basic steps involved are:

(1) opening the video in WMM
(2) deciding how big the video filesize will be - WMM will ask you how you are going to distribute the video eg. by email, by streaming etc. - the faster the tranmission method, the larger the filesize and the better the video quality (but depending on the quality of your original video). You may have to try different settings and convert the video several times to make a video that you think best suits your need
(3) Saving the new WMV video

You can also burn the video onto DVD, if you have a DVD burner. There are different DVD burning software that comes with different burners, therefore I cannot tell you how to do it. Remember if you burn it on DVD, the video file size is much bigger than the original.

Good luck again (acutally not "again" because you never go through with the first suggestion)
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:21 PM   #9

this is my current problem after I converted from MP4Cam2AVI:

"The file C:\Documents and Settings\....\015.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

Mp4Cam2AVI.exe seem to work fine.WMM is ver 2.1.4026.0 and I restarted over & over and rebooted over & over. Also I checked MS for updates & have all installed.

Any ideas? What is the codec I am missing? Can I load it manually to eventually get WMM to work so I can convert AVI to MPG?

Could it be that the first codec is corrupted & I need to wipe it/uninstall and reinstall?

Any suggestions would be a big help. I really want to get this working. I could make a small movie & convert it and post the AVI. Would that help?

Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:23 PM   #10

I also tried several different MOV's, and got the same result. Just in case you wanted more info. Maybe my MOV's are strange. Should I take a small one and post the MOV?