Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 20, 2003, 4:09 PM   #1

Default Batch converting image folders & not just files

Hi folks,
Over the past year I've scanned in all the family photos - over 1400 in total! A painstaking task. I saved them all as TIFF files so as to conserve their quality while I retouched/enhanced many of them. Now I have to convert them to JPEG or JPEG2000 before burning them onto CD and distributing them to family members. I have Paint Shop Pro 7 and have been trialing PSP 8 but they will only allow me to batch convert the contents of one folder at a time. I want to be able to batch convert the contents of 120 folders in one go! Otherwise it's going to be a lot more work and I've spent enough days on this project as it is. I would really appreciate tips on how to do this most efficiently or software recommendations (preferably freeware or shareware as I have fairly decent image editing software as it is) that will do this for me readily.

Looking forward to your replys,

Regards,

Dermot
Dermot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2003, 5:15 PM   #2

How often do I find myself writing this? - Irfanview will do it.

In the Batch conversion dialogue, make sure that "Include subdirectories" is checked. In the Advanced Options check "Create subdirectories in destination folder".

Create a subdirectory for the destination files, then select the root directory where your images are located and click the "Add all" button. Irfan will process the files in the root and all subdirectories and place the results in the destination folder, creating more destination subdirectories as needed.

Irfanview is free and available at http://www.irfanview.com/. I just love that program...

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 10:05 AM   #3

Hi Fenlander,
Many thanks for the advice. I'll download it and try it out.

Regards,

Dermot
Dermot is offline   Reply With Quote