Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:58 PM   #1

I am planning to buy a Nikon D50 from BestBuy, the salesperson try to sell me the extend warranty for $100 to cover for 4 years. Is this a worthy spending? Thanks in advance for your help.

fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:48 PM   #2

Make sure you know who is providing the warranty. Is it Nikon or a third party? If third party make sure you know what is covered (is it different from the manufacturer's warranty) and who is approved to make repairs if needed.

Extended warranties are always a gamble. They are, admittedly, high profit margin for the warranty company and retailer. Often times salespeople get "spiffs', or incentive cash, for selling them. In my experience, most modern electronic items (including digital cameras) are fairly reliable. IF there's a problem it's either a DOA unit or something that shows up early.

On the other hand, $100 will be cheaper than a digicam repair bill. You mention a 4 year warranty. The D50 is a great camera; today. In the course of digital camera technology in 4 years it will be a great "vintage" camera. If my Olympus E-10 (purchased October 2000 for more than your D50 will cost) died tomorrow, I would hold a small funeral and say goodbye to an old friend. They sell for less on ebay than I could get it repaired for. I would then pick up my newer camera and keep shooting.

As you can see, there are arguments pro and con. Bottom line...if the $100 will give you true peace of mind, go for it. If not, that money will be better spent on a nice case, tripod, memory card, etc.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:04 PM   #3
rey

There's a 3rd party warranty called Mack that seems to be popular. I don't have it, but I probably would have gotten it for my camera if I can do it over. It cost less than stores extended warranty. You can buy the policy separate from the camera. You just have to buy it and fill it out and send it to them within 30 days of camera purchase. It's available from online stores like B&H, Adorama, etc.

Like I said, I've never used them, but I'm interested on hearing people's experience when they needed service from them. I'm thinking about getting a $500 lens soon and will probably get a 7-year Mack warranty for it.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:45 PM   #4

Thank you both for the response.

It is a third party warranty. I have been told that it covers more than manufacturer warranty. But I even don't know what manufacturer warranty will cover:? It seems this warranty will cover the cleaning dust as it might be the problem when I change the lense often. I should find out more detail of both.

I am also going to check the warranty from Mack.

Thanks agian.
fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:12 PM   #5

dont most manufacturers provide long warranties? i mean even if ur store warranty is finished u still have ur manufacturer warranty for at least 2 years.....
aslanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:46 AM   #6
rey

A $100 may not be bad for 4 years. Nikon has 5 year USA warranty on lenses, and 1 year for body.

If Best Buy will do at least two sensor cleaning a year for the camera, then it may be worth it. Basically you're paying $25/year and if you don't feel comfortable cleaning the sensor yourself, then you're better off with that warranty. Sending the camera to Nikon for cleaning will cost you shipping anyways. Sensor swabs cost about $12 each plus the $6 solution that's hard to find since few stores can ship them since it's flamable.

Mack warranties do not include cleaning. It covers manufacturer defects. My guess is Best Buy actually uses Mack, from what I've read a lot of stores use Mack warranties. You should ask them if they clean the sensors themselves or send it out somewhere.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:38 PM   #7

Here is a question that not many people think about when buying a warranty. How offten do you think you will use the camera? Is this a camera that you will only pull out ever once a while when an event comes up or will this be something that you use at work or everyday.

If it is something that you use everday or close to it, then the $100 is not a bad invenstment.

Warranty can be the biggest scam in retail. I know many people who bought a warranty on a electronic product that they bought and used it like 2-3 times a year only. This is very true with Camcorder. Retailer push this because this is where they make a lot of their money from.

Personally myself I NEVER buy warranty on any electronic product because I have faith in the product that I buy. If I take care of it, it will take care of me and I dont buy cheap stuff. If the product ever does fail, most likly it would fail during the warrany period. If it didnt, most likly it shouldnt break on you unless you abuse it.

When it comes to dSLR, they are pretty soild when it comes to built quality. You dont hear many people complain about there dSLR dying on them for no reason comaired to PnS digital camera.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:31 PM   #8

Please don't buy the Best Buy warranty! If you search the internet, you will find many stories of how useless those warranties are! I looked at the warranty and a) it's covered by a 3rd party, not Nikon and b) there are a few clauses in it that they can invoke to try to get themselves out of honoring the warranty.

Nikon does offer extended warranties, but they hardly advertise it for some odd reason.

One of their authorized resellers does sell Nikon extended warranty for various models:
http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?Section=984

According to the Nikon rep I spoke with recently, only authorized Nikon resellers sell official Nikon extended warranties (usually 2 extra years) and you have to buy it at the time you buy the camera. The extended warranty must also from the same store as the camera.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote