Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:50 PM   #11
rey

Just like most scammers, they go by multiple names:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0253.htm
http://www.nydailynews.com/08-07-200...p-371761c.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:48 PM   #12

i just ordered a camera from this guy last thursday. he called me and left a message to confirm the order. i called back and he said "you did not order a memory card, would you like one for $99 or $129." I said "no" and he said "actually we sold out of the camera thanks bye." now im worried that this guy canmess with my bank account/credit score and all that stuff.
endo230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:20 PM   #13
rey

Quote:
i just ordered a camera from this guy last thursday. he called me and left a message to confirm the order. i called back and he said "you did not order a memory card, would you like one for $99 or $129." I said "no" and he said "actually we sold out of the camera thanks bye." now im worried that this guy can mess with my bank account/credit score and all that stuff.
Yup! That's their typical MO, they post stuff at really low price, and if they can't squeeze more money from you, the product is magically out of stock. They then have your credit card and other info that they can sell to anyone or abuse themselves.

Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:31 PM   #14

should i just go to the bank and have them issue a new debit card?
endo230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:50 PM   #15
rey

Quote:
I've never been in this situation, but if I was, I probably would. Otherwise, you'll have to pay close attention to your bills until the card expires and you get a new card number. Most card charges you can dispute, and at most you are liable for $50 (I think).

Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:18 AM   #16

Yes, and ASAP! You can dispute the charges but it's a pain in the butt, and identity theft is a whole different and more dangerous game. Just change the card before anything bad happens.

endo230 wrote:
Quote:
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:58 PM   #17

Code:
SCAM & Liars AVOID The Digital Expo.com
Code:
On Fri Aug 18, 2006 I placed an order with: http://www.thedigitalexpo.com, or what is known as The Digital Expo.com. I called and confirmed my order as per e-mail listed below. The web site was in stock. I asked if it would be shiped right away and the rep said yes. I was than asked to buy a memory card because the camera's internal memory only can store 2 photos which is a lie. I said two (2) photos were good for me. The rep knew I was not going to buy anything more from them. My card was not charged but I called at 1:00 pm Monday and the rep said the camera is on back order for three or four weeks.  This same store has other web sites that are all bad news just like this one.
Copy of the e-mail they send to get you to call them so they can set you up for the rip-off!

Your order has been received. Please call us to confirm the order within 24 hours, so we may have your order shipped out to you as soon as possible.
Order ID: XXXXX
Order Date: Fri Aug 18 07:57:48 2006

Code:
SONDSCN1 1 Sony Cybershot DSC-N1, 8.1 Megapixel 3x Optical/6x Digital Zoom, Digital Camera (DSCN1) $ 249.00 $ 249.00
Code:
Sub Total: $ 249.00
Code:
Discount: $ 0.00
Code:
Shipping: $ 14.90
Code:
Shipping Method: Ground
Code:
Tax: $ 0.00
Code:
Grand Total: $ 263.90
Code:
Thank you for shopping with us.
hotbikehgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:48 PM   #18

I "purchased" a camcorder from thedigitalexpo 10 days ago. They required that they be called and speak to a live person to "confirm" the order. When I called they tried everything they could to sell me a battery for $129. The same battery can be found from $26 to $39 elsewhere. After their high pressure pitch, they said "enjoy your camera". The camera was never shipped. I called again today and they said that the camera is back order and it may be several weeks. Scam. If they can't upgrade you they do not deliver. They also did not answer three e-mails that I sent they previously. Do not attempt to save a few bucks by buying from these ripoffs.
tuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:45 PM   #19

I placed an order on last Friday, but today, when I called their customer service to confirm the order, I was asked by a guy who said: when? I said Friday, then he said: the order was cancelled, then hung up. I called again, and asked a rep, who hang up once I said: I want to place an order...

This is definately an illegal website. I just want to simply sue them, and at least inform the legal unity or police department. Who can let me know how to sue them or tell the police? Will NYPD go to shut them down and through those guys into jail?

AnthonyAntoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:39 AM   #20

well it looks like I was lucky not to deal with these folks, even tho at one price comparison site they "supossedly" have 1312 reviews and a 6 star rating, I don't believe that site.

Now lets add a place called RoyalCamera.com to this question---I will start a new thread if thats the correct way or we can just continue here.

Thanks For all your replies
Dan
acs55812 is offline   Reply With Quote