Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:56 PM   #41

I guess I'm the next person who had to check it on my own, Last sat. I ordered Sony DCR-DVD505, it's a camcorder, at stop4camera.com (I know it's diffrent company but they are all the same)for very attractive price, of course I got a call next day asking, 'do I need and extra battery because it doesn't come with' year riggggggght, what kind camera doesn't come with battery, anyway after I refused buying one he told me that my camcorder is on back order and it would take 8-12 weeks, so I canceled. Also, right after that I called my credit company and ask for new card. All those companies are sh..face scammers, anytime u look for something and go on google froggile, I can bet that first couple store are those scammers, so be careful and if u see something and think it's too good to be truth it is to good to be truth.

fortunately, I just found the same camcorder fromthe legitimate site for similar price so it ended good for me

jacekrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:03 AM   #42

I'm so grateful for this forum! I was ready to order a Canon Powershot S3 IS camera from digitalexpo.com when I decided to Google it to find the site again. WHEW! This forum with warnings against the site came up, and I avoided the episodes I have been reading about here. THANKS to everyone who decided to add their experiences on this forum and best wishes!
Carol19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:57 AM   #43

I placed an order online for a Panasonic TZ1, bottom line price $188 and was told that I had to confirm the order by telephone. When I called, a very high pressure salesman told me that I also needed an SD card. I told him that I had about a dozen of them. He then tried to sell me numerous other accessories. I replied that I only wanted the camera. He said that he did not like my attitude. I responded that I only wanted to order the camera and he said it "would be shipped today".

I never got any confirmation of the order, so I called back the next day and asked why. The response was that the order was cancelled. I asked why and was told that the item was out of stock and to call back tomorrow. I told them I would buy elsewhere.

This vendor should NOT BE USED by anyone who wishes prompt delivery at the advertised price!

[url=javascript:emoticon('', 'images/emoticons/bash.gif')]document.
LenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:25 PM   #44
ssf

Thedigitalexpo apparently is associated with Starlight Camera & Vidio ,WAWA Digital,AccessoriesLand.com,StargatePhoto.Com,and The Camera Whiz.Orders are apparently shipped by J&J Digital.

they are very pushy and will not take no for answer. The price quoted on the web was for refurbished unit but the quote did notclarify the unit was refurbished. they are sopushy, I almost stopped the order. I ended purchasing their 5 years warranty. I will not deal withthem again.
ssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:26 PM   #45

I just had a conversation with the receptionist/manager/owner (as I was told) of digitalexpo.com. I called to confirm my order and the rude, screaming voice answered and asked me my name. I did. But then he asked me 3 times more. When I told him I already told him my name 4 times, he said that he cancelled my order becausethecamera I ordered was not available and "because of my attitude". So I called him back and asked to speak to the manager, he said "he" is not available. I recognized his voice so I asked him if he is the owner and if his company is owned and run by 1 man. He said "yes". I told him he was very rude and he just said "that's good" and hung up. I hope no one ever buys anything from him. I know I will tell everyone I know not to even go to his website.
escape2mars2000@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:03 AM   #46

I attempted to order the Sony Cybershot H5 from this company. There is a reason they are lower priced than everyone else, it's because they won't sell you the camera without buying a High speed memory stick. When you place the order you have to call them or they will call you to confirm the order. I called them and the salesman gave me his spill about how I must have a High speed memory stick inorder for the camera to function properly. I told him no thanks I just wanted the camera. This upset him and he ask me, "how are you going to use the camera without the memory card". I told him it was none of his business. He then went off on me. He accused my of being a liar... needless to say I took my business elsewhere. Do not order from this company!!!
Wapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:13 PM   #47

I dodged the bullet on this website by doing a little research.

My story:

My fiance wants a Casio Exilim EX-Z70 for christmas so I was nosing around for the cheapest price and came across www.thedigitalexpo.com which claimed to have it for 179. That's a good 35 bucks cheaper than anywhere else that I've seen, so I was interested, but wary since I suspected that the item might be a refurb.

I checked the fine print all over the camera's info on that site and found nothing mentioning that it was refurbed. I clicked to order the camera and a red flag went up when they wanted 35 dollars for 3 day shipping. I filled out all my info to make a 'new account' but before pressing the submit button I got the itch to call based on that high shipping fee.

I wanted to make sure the camera wasn't a refurb. I dialed the guy up and sat on hold for 11 minutes. I got frustrated waiting (and suspsicious since the automated answer didn't mention a company name, just saying 'thank you for calling' red flag) so I hung up and called back, this time a man answered.

I started out by saying that basically 'I don't know your website so I just wanted to see if I could get some background info from you about your site before I submit my online order' and he replied 'Then don't order from me then'. I was shocked.

He went on to tell me that he didn't have time to sit here and convince me to order from him, that he had plenty of orders already and didn't need mine. I was shocked. I asked him if he called this customer service. He snorted and said that he had over three thousand orders waiting and didn't need to worry about customer service. I was shocked. Stunned. He told me that he didn't have time to go through his company history. He told me to check the web if I wanted to find out about his company. He said that there were over 3000 reviews of his site being a good site on the web and that I should 'do my own research' and find them.

So I did. And I found this thread. And through this thread I found the resellerratings website. And I was so glad I didn't hit submit. I clicked back to the tab with my order info (firefox) and cleared it out. I am so relieved that I found this site and did not order from that maniac. I'm also glad that my intuition told me to call before ordering to get some company background. If I hadn't done that, I guess I'd be another sucker posting about getting ripped off.

I can't believe that joker is still in business. Insane.
DMCFZRichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:43 PM   #48

I also stupidly did not do my research on this "company" before buying. As others have mentioned, the price comes up the cheapest.
Vendor advertises camera equipment (specifically a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1K, order number 253290) as "new" with full US warrantly. After submitting order they insist that you call them to confirm the order, upon which they tell you that it is a refurbished model and that a new one will cost $50 more.

In addition, the customer representative (presumably also the "CEO" of this unserious, fraudulent and predatory operation) is hostile and rude. When I queried him about the refurbished aprt he literally swore at me ("You want the damn camera or not?"). When when I told him I would cancel the order he essentially told me to go to hell and "i'll cancel your f**ng order". What a jerk.
itswow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:38 PM   #49

One of the best resources for researching businesses is the Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org

Check out this link for Starlight Cameras aka The Digital Expo (and several others names listed at the bottom of report)

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/b...1&id=74756

Here isa summary written by the BBB

Nature of Business

Consumers report that cameras purchased from this firm are represented as U.S. models under warranty, but are in fact foreign models not covered by manufacturer warranties. Consumers also report experiencing difficulty contacting customer service, as well as hostile attitudes from representatives after requesting refunds or declining to purchase additional items.

Seems to ring true with the other stories posted here.

Avoid like the plague!!
Wedge150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:09 PM   #50

I had ordered a digital camera that was price so very reasonable that it was the lowest price compared to other stores or online companies. When I received an email requesting a phone call to confirm my order, I called the number. The sales representative was very rude and pushy. He tried to sell me additional products that were so over priced, and I declined. Three (3) times, I repeated myself, asking to confirm that the item was new and not refurbished. Finally, he said it was new, however I was very uncomfortable with this transaction. I proceeded to view other opinions – after three pages all the negative ones appeared.

The next morning, I emailed them to confirm my order and if the product was indeed a new camera. I received no response. In addition, I called three times, two to confirm the order, and was put on hold (over 20 min), the last to cancel, and once again put on hold (another 15 min). I cancelled my credit card ASAP –

This is the first time ever I had a problem ordering online.

They bate, then expect you to purchase their over priced accessory products. They tried to sell me an items so over cost - a stick of memory for $199.00 with a camera case!

I had ordered a digital camera that was price so very reasonable that it was the lowest price compared to other stores or online companies. When I received an email requesting a phone call to confirm my order, I called the number. The sales representative was very rude and pushy. He tried to sell me additional products that were so over priced, and I declined. Three (3) times, I repeated myself, asking to confirm that the item was new and not refurbished. Finally, he said it was new, however I was very uncomfortable with this transaction. I proceeded to view other opinions – after three pages all the negative ones appeared.

The next morning, I emailed them to confirm my order and if the product was indeed a new camera. I received no response. In addition, I called three times, two to confirm the order, and was put on hold (over 20 min), the last to cancel, and once again put on hold (another 15 min). I cancelled my credit card ASAP –

robin918 is offline   Reply With Quote