Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:00 PM   #1

The prices for what I am wanting seem to be the best by FAR, (Sony H5 or H2) but in all the price comparisons sites they never come up as one listed. I just want to make sure they are "legit" and not a fly by night outfit.

acs55812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:37 PM   #2
Administrator

The industry is very competitive right now, and if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I've never heard of them. But, a quick whois search on the domain name shows that the registrant is in Brooklyn.

No offense intended to Brooklyn residents. But, if I see a price that looks too low combined with a Brooklyn Address, a vendor is automatically placed on my avoid list (since most of the well known internet scam artists around are in Brooklyn, where they seem to be able to get away with it for some reason). Some of the Brooklyn Based scam artists have been doing business under a variety of names for years, and the authorities seem to ignore it there.

Suggested Reading:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:39 AM   #3
Administrator

Also check at www.resellerratings.com and see what other people say about the vendor before making the purchase. As JimC pointed out, Brooklyn NY dealers are some of the worst online, we call them "Crooklyn" dealers.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Administrator

I checked there first and see a listing but no customer feedback:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller13935.html

I'd normally avoid vendors with a small number of customer reviews, too (since vendors do get caught trying to pad their own ratings from time to time). lol

Given the Brooklyn address for the domain name registrant, and the OP mentioning how much better their prices are, alarm bells ring with me. ;-)

Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:10 PM   #5

You guys are right. Even if they are a legit business, you should check out there store policies- anything you return has a 20% restocking fee, and you must send a product to the manufacturer if you have a problem with it. They don't stand behind the products they sell.
CMDRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:10 PM   #6

I can tell you my experiemce with Digital Exp. I called Wednesday to order a camera I needed for a trip starting Tuesday. 4 times in a row when I called and didn't order, but asked instead if they could get it to me by Monday, they hung up although yjhey saidit could ship "today".

Like a fool, I placed an order on the internet (3 days delivery to my house). The first call they said they had in stock and would ship today (Wednesday). Later on Wednesday, I got a call "confirming" my order and telling me the price did not include proper batteries or sufficent memory. We negotiated a price and he assured me it would ship today (Wednesday).

I got a UPS note last night at midnioght saying it was shipping from J&J Digital in Michigan today. They are a majopr Chinese owned wholesale distributor. Aaaargh!

There is no address on their web site. I have called 4 times thismorning to complain (Tony is the man). He is out each time, and I am told to call back in 20 minutes. The last call, he had left for the day.

mikemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:18 PM   #7

Very interesting replies, I have found 2 price groups for this camera, one in the 300-339 range and the other in the 400+ area, I don't know the names of the other low places but have them written down at home (I do know one is Banana Boat Camera) and will edit this to add the others when I have the correct names, I wish we had bigger prisons for the crooks that operate the bad storefronts.

Royalcamera is $319

below is the digital expo that shows 1312 reviews and a "6" star rating--I think something stinks about this situation---price is $309

http://www.everyprice.com/item.asp?i...y_dsch_5---309

http://www.bananaboatcamera.com/sonydsch5.html $329

bestpricecameras.com is $349

almost all the rest are $449 or higher---

This kind of makes me a believer in the "if its too good to be true" statement

hmmm...what to do ...what to do

acs55812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:35 PM   #8
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I checked there first and see a listing but no customer feedback:

Well, it looks like some feedback is now coming in since my last post:

Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:30 PM   #9

Their address is:

83 Ave O

Brooklyn NY, 11204

Oddly enough, they have another web site called thecamerawhiz.com which looks almost identical to thedigitalexpo.com. Can't figure that one out.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:49 PM   #10

I was looking closely at the reviews that are given for thedigitalexpo.com on everyprice.com. I noticed an interesting pattern - most of their positive reviews come from people who do not capitalize the first letter of their name and who also don't use apostrophes where they should be, such as in I'd (id) won't (wont) can't (cant), etc. etc. Coincidence? Perhaps someone is padding their own reviews.