Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2003, 8:01 PM   #1

Default Hey people !

Hey guyz and Galz,

This my first post, so first off, hi. I've been reading the site for a while now but didnt register for some reason. Anyway, here's the thing.

I've ordered myself a Fuji 3800, or as its known over here in the UK, the S304. Although the camera has its known low light issues, i'm hoping to be taking mainly daytime shots anyway, so seemed to be a nice mid-range camera for the cash.

So, after reading the very informative article steve did regarding the camera, I noted he mentioned it would be a wise idea to purchase a UV or Skylight Lens filter, presumably to protect the lens and to be used in conjunction with the supplied adapter.

So, being an admitted newb to photography (this is my first real camera), I seem to have got myself all confused, so have posted my questions below:-

1) I've searched several stores in the UK for filters, and it seems HOYA are a widely known brand. However, when looking to buy a filter at the correct size (55mm) there were several. Exactly what are the differences between a UV, Skylight and Circular Polar Lens ?

2) Some of these lens also have a second variable, such as a UV lens, then a slightly more expensive UV - HMC lens. Exactly what is HMC?

3) I am considering purchasing a telescopic and wide-angle lens i the future as my need for such accessories will no doubt increase. However, not having a great knowledge of physics, having the original lens, a filter AND and "extension" lens such as wide/tele doesnt sound to healthy. Is it possible to combine all these or would i remove the filter when using the other lenses?

Well, thats my lot. Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever, its greatly appreciated and will help me a great deal. I hope to be sharing some images very soon :P
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2003, 8:30 PM   #2

I own the camera ..... don't bother with the telephoto lens because at 230mm you need a tripod anyway frankly.

I don't veen use the adapter ring because the camera is too bulky as it is ........... even bulkier is out of the question.

What the heck do you need a UV filter in the UK for anyway :lol: :lol:
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 11:06 PM   #3

Welcome...

I keep a UV filter on my Canon Pro90 all the time. It has very little affect on the pictures, but makes a great protector for the lens. It does bring out the contrast between clouds and sky a little. I use a circular polarizer for photos on bright, sunny days, particularly around water.

Our weather up here in the Pacific Northwest in the USA is overcast and rainy a lot, like yours. The polarizer is used during the summer, mostly.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Welcome...

I keep a UV filter on my Canon Pro90 all the time. It has very little affect on the pictures, but makes a great protector for the lens. It does bring out the contrast between clouds and sky a little. I use a circular polarizer for photos on bright, sunny days, particularly around water.

Our weather up here in the Pacific Northwest in the USA is overcast and rainy a lot, like yours. The polarizer is used during the summer, mostly.
Sorry mate, i htought you wer ein the UK .. I am from Sydney .. pleanty of use for that UV and polariser flters here!!!!
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 12:25 AM   #5

The idea of a UV filter is to protect the lens mainly from finger prints, dust, scratches, etc. I use a Skylight myself but it doesn't make much difference whether you use a UV or Skylight...same basic result.

A polarizer is a special filter used for blocking light rays at certain angles, look at this example of what a polarizer does, http://www.bugeyedigital.com/moreinfo/ken-kncpol.html I only put on a polarizer when I need it for those special shots when you want to reduce relected light (glass, water, countertop, anything but metal) or wne you want to make the sky appear bluer instead of being washed out.

As for what size filter you need, it all depends on what filter adapter your camera takes, and which adapter you get if there is more than one type available. For my own camera, an Olympus, I had the choice of 55mm, 52mm, 46mm, and 37mm, of which I got the 55mm since my SLR uses the same size so I can share filters between the two. Stay away from smaller sizes as they can cause vignetting (a black ring around your pictures, normally at wide angle).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 10:04 AM   #6

Thanks guyz,

Thats cleared up alot for me. I think I will buy a skylight filter and a polariser just because it sounds useful
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote