Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:27 PM   #1

I wasn't sure what the most appropriate forum would be to post this, but I need some advice...I'm planning to propose to my girlfriend on Friday at this very location (San Juan Islands, Washington state) and I'm going to attempt to get a few shots on my camera of the entire event. As the sun is starting to set, I plan on taking a few pictures of the sunset. I then plan on asking my girlfriend to sit on the bench so I could take some picturesof her using the light coming from the sunset.I take a few shots of her and then let her know I'd like some shots of both of us. While she's sitting on the bench ready for some morepics, I plan on setting my camera (Panasonic FZ7) up on my tripod and then setting the camera's burst modeto shoot continuously until there's nothing left on the card. I take my place on the bench and let her know that the timer is going to go off in a few secondsfor one shot (so she thinks I'm only taking one picture, when the camera is really going off the entire time). We take one picture and I pretend my little picture taking session is over by just making small talk. I then plan on going into my proposal, one knee and all, and if all goes well, she'll say yes...and i'll have the whole thing on camera.

my question is, where do you thinkwould be the best placeto setupthe camera? I'd like for her face to be in focus so her expression would be captured. Ideally, I'd alsolike to get the sunset and the Pacific Ocean in the background, but if the camera is facing the sunset, I'm thinking both her and me will come up overexposed. Any suggestions?

fatalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:11 AM   #2

I don't have a good answer to your question, but your plan is awesome! :idea:
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:35 AM   #3

I don't think you can do everything with one angle. Put the camera on the tripod and take the picture you posted with the two of you on the bench from behind. Then put the camera in front and get your proposal photos.

You will ruin the mood and can't capture the expressions easily taking the shots so you include the sunset. Capture the scene and event separately. Great plan to capture the moment but the photography should be secondary. Face the sunset when you propose.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:23 AM   #4

My advice is to forget the photography of the event. The proposal should be about HER not about your photography. Staging a proposal so you can get the best photograph is a bad idea, IMO. Your concentration should be totally on your soon-to-be fiance and you're letting your hobby intrude into that.

A photograph of the location will bring fond memories. But you manipulating the proposal for the benefit of your hobby may not be well received by your girlfriend. I could be totally wrong but I know my wife would be somewhat put off if when I proposed I was concentrating on photography rather than her.

So, my advice, take some shots of the scene but when it comes time for the proposal put your hobby and camera away.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice...I was starting to have second thoughts about using the camera as I was creating this post. I definitely dont want to lessen the moment, so if I feel that it's too much, I'll scrap the idea.
fatalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:28 PM   #6

I would second JohnGs suggestion. take a snap before and after..but that moment can anyway never be captured on camera as it would be in your mind ..
sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:05 AM   #7

I think you should get a shot of the two of you sitting on the park bench. Then put your camera away and then propose! It will feel a bit more "special" that way.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:30 PM   #8

That spot is beautiful!! I would also like to propose there. would you be so kind as to direct me to where that is?
shulmajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:44 AM   #9

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
My advice is to forget the photography of the event. The proposal should be about HER not about your photography.
I agree completely. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote