Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2003, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Asking strangers to take a shot

Hey folks ... one of my main problems with the digicam is when i ask someone to take a photo of me and the missus they invariably maqke a mess of it because ....

a) the half press focus completely confounds them and they don't take a shot 'cos they hear the focus "beep".

b) no one seems to have a CLUE how to frame a shot and invariably don't use the zoom and we end up SO FAR AWAY in the photo.

ANyone have any "poilte" tips?
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2003, 12:32 AM   #2

Use a tripod and the timer...I'd *NEVER* let a stranger take a picture for me; this reminds me of Mr. Bean when Bean asks a stranger to take a picture of him in front of a statue, and the stranger suggests that Bean look at the statue...of course when Bean is looking at the statue the stranger takes off with the camera (and that was a cheap Polaroid).

I've let friends take pictures for me, but in those cases I'd explain that you have to hold the camera steady for a second because it takes a little time before taking the picture to calculate the focus.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 10:33 AM   #3

Some models, such as the FZ1 have a "simple mode" which does two things... (1) turns on continuous (sp?) auto-focus and (2) turns the camera into a P & S, so you just hand them the camera and say, "Just point and shoot!"

And to avoid Mike_PEAT's problem, I don't go up to just anyone. I usually chat someone up first, you can kind of gauge what kind of person they are as you talk. Plus, most of the time they ask me to take a picture of them, so I in turn ask that they take a picture of me.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 6:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Use a tripod and the timer...
I wouldn't say never but with certain equipent in certain situations I've been pretty creative. The ability to use the "self timer" is invaluable. Have put off many a tourist by doing this but hey, "it's my memory". Deal with it! Always close with, "thanks for asking".
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 6:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by folmonty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Use a tripod and the timer...
I wouldn't say never but with certain equipent in certain situations I've been pretty creative.
PS - you don't really need a tripod in all cases. Get creative...
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 11:04 PM   #6

I asked an elder lady passing by if she could take a picture of my girlfriend and I, with Manhattan's west side in the background. I had left my camera almost fully zoomed, so when she looked through the viewfinder she had to back up a little to frame us. Thing was she couldn't back up a whole lot because of trees, so she ended up framing just the two of us quite nicely Not a whole lot of background, and there was little to crop out.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 8:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero
I asked an elder lady passing by if she could take a picture of my girlfriend and I, with Manhattan's west side in the background. I had left my camera almost fully zoomed, so when she looked through the viewfinder she had to back up a little to frame us. Thing was she couldn't back up a whole lot because of trees, so she ended up framing just the two of us quite nicely Not a whole lot of background, and there was little to crop out.
Now THAT is a great idea to say the least. I just don't have the patience to lug a tripod around ALL DAY for one photo.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 2:09 AM   #8

Reminds me of European Vacation where they ask some locals to take their picture in front of some fountain. The local talks them into taking their shoes off and wade in the fountain pool.
Local runs off and all they could do was watch them.

I offered to take some pics for someone up at Mt Rainier on Friday. She looked at me like I was going to steal her Nikon 2500. While I'm standing there with my Olympus 5050 around my neck. :roll:

But she used their timer, snapped their pic and off they went.

If I want a pic of us I use my wireless remote
bswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 6:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswim
I offered to take some pics for someone up at Mt Rainier on Friday. She looked at me like I was going to steal her Nikon 2500. While I'm standing there with my Olympus 5050 around my neck. :roll:
But you could have already taken the C-5050 from someone else earlier that day!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 1:24 PM   #10

HAHAHAHA, thats pretty good!!!!
bswim is offline   Reply With Quote