Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:16 AM   #1

After going through the imatest testresultfor the Nikon D50, D70s, and the Sony DSC-R1 fix lens prosumer today, I was very surprised to see the Nikon D50 scoring so greatlyin dynamic range (DR), high ISO image quality, noise characteristics, and image renderings. On the other hand, the Sony DSC-R1 fix lens producethe most accurate Adobe RGB color space of all with very accurate and natural colors.

You can view the detailed test at the imaging-resource site:

For the D50: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...D50IMATEST.HTM

For the D70s: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...70SIMATEST.HTM

And for the DSC-R1 prosumer (fix lens): http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1IMATEST.HTM

Tell me what you think.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:06 PM   #2

Thanks for the link. Every choice is a compromise and the link provides additionaldata for an informed decision. Re: Sony DSC-R1 - Iwould not buy a camera soley on color accuracy, unless I was a catalogue photographer. Portrait photographers want "pleasing" flesh tones, not necessarily accurate color, and landscape photographers usually like saturated color.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:59 AM   #3

Code:
Thanks for the link. Every choice is a compromise and the link provides additionaldata for an informed decision. Re: Sony DSC-R1 - Iwould not buy a camera soley on color accuracy, unless I was a catalogue photographer. Portrait photographers want "pleasing" flesh tones, not necessarily accurate color, and landscape photographers usually like saturated color.

After studying theSony DSC-R1 fix lens pro-sumerfor3 months already, I know it's strong points and weak points. First I shall acknowledge it's weak points;

From ISO 160 to ISO 1600 it performs really well. Most of it's image noiseare hidden in the shadow areasat ISO 1600 (Mostly red channel noise).In theISO 3200 range, cyan blotchesstart to appearin the Grey areas with the inclusion of some noise from the blue channel. All in all, you get the ISO 3200 range as a spare function, otherwise; ISO 160 to ISO 1600 are excellent.

The next cons is the multi burst capture (If you think of it that way);

The R1 captures 3 massive JPEGs at 3fps in a quick burst and have to wait for the buffer to clear. I would rather treat this feature as a rapidthree shot burst mode than the usual multiple capture feature. The R1 doesn't perform that in RAW mode, so it seem all the more arapid three shots capturenovelty featureto me. (Onethat you will find on the mode dial of a camera full of bells and whistles; nevertheless, itcan be veryuseful if you just want to capture 3 rapid shots in succession and pick the best one).

The rest are all advantagefor the R1;

From my evaluation of it, the R1 is perfectly suited for photographing nature. It isperfectly suitedtowards photographing any form of insects on plants, flowers, blades of grass,and within thetangled branchesof a small plant. The live previewusing the clear vary angleLCD of the R1, the silent shutter release, LCD grid lines, live DOF preview, live metering, live white balance fine tuning, live zebra pattern guide,and live exposure measurement all make the R1 the ultimate nature's camera. On the other hand, the R1 also have the flexible spot focus cross hair that can be moved anywhere you want on the LCD panel; you can focus on the corners &bordersof your shots. (Useful for the complicatedcompositionof nature). The four channel histogram will enable you to analyze the individual color channels accordingly.

Finally, the fairly accurate hue of the R1's color channelpromotes nature shooting more than ever. The superb quality C.Z. optics of the R1 with the trademark coating also helps produce more contras tic and vibrant colors than other lens with normal coatings. In addition, the R1's lens carries the *T notation which indicates fully coated lens elements for more superb quality.

Other than nature's photography, the R1 is also a twilight camera; it has a great long exposure performance and have a useful timed exposure function. No black pit tings, no hot pixels, and no light dispersions in those long exposure shots. Since the R1 doesn't feature a mirror box as in the dSLRs, it doesn't have any mirror lock up or vibrationissuesduring long exposures. The image sensor and lens compartments are tightly sealed on the R1, so there are no dust problems as on a interchangeable lens dSLR. TheR1 fix lenswith it's super wide 24 mm F/2.8 aperture lensand a 5x optical zoom reach completes the useful range in photography, I don't think I will ever need to change thelens on the R1 for the job I do. (So that means it is better forit's glass to be fixed).

I don't owned the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-R1 fix lens, but I cannot help marveling at it!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/page3.asp

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4

Hi Ben,

I have been following the several threads wherein you have shared your thoughts and insights about the various Dslr cameras.

I was wondering if you could share some of the "fruit" of your knowledge..ie; pictures with us so you can demonstrate that you are putting all this "book learning" to good use!

I look forward to seeing some of your work.

randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote