Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 22, 2003, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Travelling to Denver

My wife, son, and myself are going out to Denver for 1 1/2 weeks; we will be flying. I am wanting to take my Canon PowerShot G3 (and media cards) and my Canon ZR40 miniDV and a laptop. What do I need to be aware of regarding those items at the security desks, especially with the scanning?
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2003, 12:14 PM   #2

You do not need to worry about the scanning system destroying your media. You do need to have a your laptop battery charged and good batteries in the camera. More often than not I have been required to power up the laptop and camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 1:18 PM   #3

What about the tape for my digital camcorder?
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 1:48 PM   #4

Nothing to worry about. FWIW - you won't have much choice in how to handle security other than to put any media in the bucket prior to walking through yourself. I've never had a problem with significant amount of travel experience.
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 9:18 AM   #5

I would recommend that you carry this items in your carry on. ** DO NOT PUT THEM IN CHECKED LUGGAGE ** If you are asking why...

1) Checked luggage now has to go through those minivan sized explosive detection systems and are subjected to very high levels of radiation. The x-ray systems for carry on are much less (otherwise they would be a health risk to the operator).

2) The TSA now has the right to open your checked luggage and go through your undies looking for stuff. Do you want to take the risk that some dishonest TSA agent isn't going to help themself to your camera?

BTW, you still have the right to a hand inspection, but I'm sure the agent will balk at inspecting everything you mentioned in your post.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 5:53 PM   #6

Also the cargo area of the plane gets very cold...devices like digital cameras and PDAs/computers always have some power going through them, and the rapid change from extreme cold to warmth can cause moisture to condense on the circuitry causing your device to short circuit...there have been cases of this.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote