Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:48 PM   #1

Why all digi cameras do not have an option for cable release. I know there is a remote release but to me, a mechanical cable release is so much more practical. We don't really use often enough, and with a battery remote release, the battery could have grown mold.

Its quite a simple thing to do, thread the shutter release to hook the cable. Why are designer so dumb? Or is not possible with digi?

creationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:00 AM   #2

I wouldn't say all... Mine certainly has one.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s7000.html

So does its replacement:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s9000.html

But I do think your right that it is rare.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:42 AM   #3

creationist wrote:
Quote:
Why all digi cameras do not have an option for cable release.
Cheapness. It would require adding an extra port, socket and some mechanical bits.
The bean counters are always busy looking for corners to cut.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:34 AM   #4

The title of the post refers to a mechanical cable release. Since the shutter button simply triggers an electronic contact there isn't much mechanical about it (except the press, of course). If a mechanical point were incorporated to press the shutter, a lot of folks might have a hard time getting the right "touch" for the half-press that locks focus and exposure before firing on most digital cameras. GoCubs is right, though, as my camera has a port for an electronic cable release AND an IR window for a wireless remote control release. Why don't they all have this? Read bkrownd's comment.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:18 PM   #5

bkrownd wrote:
Quote:
creationist wrote:
Quote:
Why all digi cameras do not have an option for cable release.
Cheapness. It would require adding an extra port, socket and some mechanical bits.
The bean counters are always busy looking for corners to cut.
I don't think there is much corner to cut if they include that little extra port. I believe it can enhance its selling point with the added feature. All SLR camera has it, why not prosumer. Afterall,top end prosumer cam is as good as DSLR. I always feel that with a mechanical cable, it can hook onto the shutter release and hence freed your both handsto work on other things. With a remote control, you are left with one hand.

And mechanical cable is slim and handy, not with remote control which is so costly. Or are they out to make some money.
creationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:26 PM   #6

Not all Slr cameras have a mechanical cable release. It's certainly possible to include one, however aside from serious amateurs/pros, I don't think its a commonly requested feature. I'm willing to be 9 out of every ten casual users won't even know what a cable release is and those who do probably would never use it. I think it's a great feature, but i don't think its commony requested.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 1:39 PM   #7

creationist wrote:
Quote:
Why all digi cameras do not have an option for cable release. I know there is a remote release but to me, a mechanical cable release is so much more practical.
Some do have electrical cable remotes, others have IR remotes, and some have none. I have also seen some camera cradles that incorporate mechanical cable capability. To me, though, it is like adding a hand crank to an auto with an electic starter.

brian

edit: PS; it is also much easier to use sound and light triggers to an electrical release, when you want your camera to be able to do some tricks.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote