Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 22, 2003, 1:43 PM   #1

Default Levers buttons and wheels oh my!

Is it me or do others have problems remembering how to use features on multiple cameras? Each time I get a comfort level on one camera a need arises to use another of my three cameras. Usually it's due to size restrictions and what I'm using it for. My wife thinks it's comical when inevitably out comes the manual while trying to figure something out. Guess I need to develop a quick reference guide or something for each to expedite this fumbling time consuming process?

Anyone have any tricks you use?
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2003, 3:52 PM   #2

First write a list of all the traps: particularly when in 'auto' mode and say using flash. If you are in a hurry, you may just want to grab the cam, point and shoot. So check your 'default' settings with the list when you shut down the cam, and before new shooting. It's easier to remember what you changed whilst shooting - than what you did the day before!

In your list include those startup things that the cam remembers which might be left set from the last time: e.g ASA, extension tube on/off, external flash on/off. Auto focus/manual. Settings which are available in 'auto' which can really screw you up in a hurry and aren't obvious in the EVF, like internal flash slow sync.

Always make this list your starting point before 'CONTACT' 'CHOCKS AWAY'!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 4:14 PM   #3

Vox
One of the biggest issues I"m having moving from the ol C2020 where I could see and play with everything using the LCD vs. the EVF on the 7Hi and 10D. Flexibility and control have a price and in this case it's learning to use the EVF with better efficiency.

Your suggestion of using checks and starting point are well taken.

BTW - Just downloaded Diskman - will mess with it tonight - Thanks again!
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 4:25 PM   #4

I found Diskman4 is a messy prog but with potential. It works for cards on Win98 & 95, producing FAT12/16 and sort of does variable cluster size which no resident OS formatters will do. The author has taken a few points from me and some improvements might be in the pipeline. It's not for GUI newbies though.

On my 602, I've been trapped by some of the settings which get remembered each time and some which you'd expect to be remembered which aren't. Then there are the switches which stay where you last left them!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote