Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 22, 2003, 6:35 PM   #1

Default Favorite posting cites

What are your favorite web cites to post pictures to? Many of us have been from one to another over the years. Currently I'm using Ofoto as my family likes to have prints and they offer quick servie with reasonable prices. Also like the fact they don't reduce image size. Their upload software had conflicts with ACDSee but works fine now. Downsides require visitors to log-in which has many folks gun shy these days. I believe in supporting hosting cites that provide good service which IMHO Ofoto has done a reasonably good job of. They're owned by Kodak.

What or who do you use and why?
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2003, 12:58 AM   #2

Default Re: Favorite posting sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by folmonty
Also like the fact they don't reduce image size. Their upload software had conflicts with ACDSee but works fine now. Downsides require visitors to log-in which has many folks gun shy these days.

What or who do you use and why?
Pbase is my favorite for the opposite reasons of what you said!

Although visitors can view the images in their original size, they can also choose to view images in small, medium, and large sizes, and it stores a cookie so the next time you visit the size you set for viewing remains the same...I always prefer viewing a picture in medium size (large enough to still see what the picture is, yet small enough to be transmitted quickly at 56k). If a picture is worthy, or I really want to see the detail I can *choose* to see it in its original form (probably 99% of the pictures I don't bother).

You don't need fancy software for uploading to Pbase...if you want to upload a lot of pictures at once you can create a Zip file, the most used archive program. Odds are you already have a Zip program on your system (if you've ever downloaded).

Pbase doesn't require you to log in to view pictures...it's not just a question of being gun shy or another site having information on you, but it's a nuisance and it's one more password to have to worry about.

Also, you can link directly to pictures with a short link like http://www.pbase.com/image/12044997 or folders like http://www.pbase.com/mikefellh/no_camera and not one of those links that are a few hundred characters long, or that break apart when posting them.

Yes Pbase charges a small fee ($23/year/100meg) but it's free to try.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 2:22 PM   #3

Mike
Enjoyed checking out your pics! Also looked over NHL's pBase files. Do like the ease and simplicity how it's all arranged. All your positive comments are appreciated! BTW - bulb shot and photo edit album were great.

What I meant about Ofoto resolution is they print what you send. What's on-line is anybody's guess? No options there for the viewer like pBase. I've got to say they do a nice job on prints with super fast turn-a-round. Being a sales guy by profession the only way I could convience my SO to let me buy the 10D was continuing to provide her and the family a print option.

I've been burned twice on photo cites that went poof but sure have no problem supporting or giving another try. Which is the essence of my post.
Old May 23, 2003, 3:18 PM   #4

Monty

I agree with Mike, pbase is my preferred viewing place. It is easy for family and friends to check out pics there. I tried some other sites and they did not upload as fast as pbase. www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 7:10 PM   #5

Well, for ordering prints that's different...I assumed we talking about sites for posting for other people to view online. I don't bother with online ordering as there's a place that's a 5 minute walk away from me that does that...not that I've ever used one of those places yet (I either view pics on the computer, or I print on my Epson).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 7:19 PM   #6

I love the Webphotoforum.com.

There is a very nice community and the costs are really low, also you can get critiques on your picture from which I for one learn alot.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 7:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof
I love the Webphotoforum.com.

There is a very nice community and the costs are really low, also you can get critiques on your picture from which I for one learn alot.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank,
Who's Brian May? Starting to feel old (old ERR) First thougth was , "wow, an old Led Zepland concert". Not. Enjoyed the shots and link. Will look into this cite as well. Thanks for sharing! BTW - How long has webphotoforum.com been up?
Rock on....
Old May 23, 2003, 7:46 PM   #8

Hi,

Shame on you , Brian May the gitarist from the greatest rock band all time (at least for me) Queen.

I don't know how long they have been up, I joined 4-5 months ago.

Greetings,
Frank
Old May 23, 2003, 8:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof
Shame on you , Brian May the gitarist from the greatest rock band all time (at least for me) Queen.
I knew that? At least I know the band. Even have some of their stuff, on LP's of course. Picture was very nice. How far from the stage were you and what did you take the shot with?
Old May 23, 2003, 8:11 PM   #10

Hi,

I was about 15-25 mtrs from the stage I guess (it was a long time ago), on the topfloor of the Astoria in London.

It was taken with a Pentax 35MM camera, I believe a 400ISO film and a zoom lens (no flash), don't know what lens anymore, sorry.

Greetings,
Frank