Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:59 PM   #11

Just a note - if you can, try and find a local shop that carries a good selection of camera bags - even if you don't plan to buy from them. After some phone calls I found one by me a couple years back when I was shopping - being able to see and handle the bag - and with my own gear was what helped me decide which bags were right for me. It's worth a few phone calls to find out. So much of this is an ergonomics thing and it really helps to handle something yourself.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:30 PM   #12

I've been thinking of one of either the Velocity or the Slingshot. When I looked at them, I wondered about how comfortable the velocity would be with a bunch of equipment - the slingshot looked like the strap would spread the weight out better. The other concern I have is whether I could use one of them over a hydration pack while I'm hiking. It looked like the slingshot has a long enough strap (I'm small), but wondered about the velocity. Has anyone tried this?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:19 PM   #13
rey

I agree with JohnG, if you can, be sure to try it out a bag before buying it. I was surprised how many bags I tried in the store that just didn't feel comfortable to me. Or are too small or too big for my gears.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've been thinking of one of either the Velocity or the Slingshot. When I looked at them, I wondered about how comfortable the velocity would be with a bunch of equipment - the slingshot looked like the strap would spread the weight out better. The other concern I have is whether I could use one of them over a hydration pack while I'm hiking. It looked like the slingshot has a long enough strap (I'm small), but wondered about the velocity. Has anyone tried this?
I don't own the velocity nor slingshot, but I've tried them bought, and I don't think you can used them over a hydration pack. They're already bulky on the back, esp the velocity, that it'll just be awkward.

The Velocity felt odd since it rides high on my back. What I liked about the Orion is that it's a fannypack, so I wear it close to my center of gravity. YMMV.

The good thing with these two though is that Wolf/Ritz chain carry them, so a decent size store (ie not the mall version) should have them in stock (US of course).

The Orion works perfectly with my hydration pack. But I remember you said on an old thread that you are small and the two overlaps on your back. That's too bad. I'm 5'8", so it fits nicely. Also the Orion came with a shoulder strap that helps it stay in place.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:37 PM   #14

Great discussion...I bought the velocity 9 after seeing it at a local shop. (Able to fit the camera and lens. I plan on using it as a front pack for my D70 and 70-200 Nikon lens. (Easy access)

Based on this configuration, I could also use my backpack with hydration system. However, I will see shortly because I am heading to Denali National Park for a photo/hiking vacation...Hopefully great photos and memories will be the result.
photofun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:58 AM   #15

Remember!!! Cycling - you can't just stop, get off the bike, take off the backpack, grab the gear - that's why the slingshot was chosen in my case.

If you're hiking/walking/rambling you're more often than not, already have the camera hanging in front of you.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:14 PM   #16

Cycling?
photofun87 is offline   Reply With Quote