Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:40 PM   #1

Good afternoon...Hello to this forum....

Can anyone recommend a good camera bag for a Nikon D-70 camera and 70-200 f2.8 lensattached with a teleconverter at times? (I do a lot of hiking and am looking for a toploading bag for easy access.

Any help would be appreciated.:?

photofun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:55 PM   #2

Take a look at the Tamrac Velocity 7 and Velocity 9. I have a velocity 7 I use occasionally with a 20D - it fits a 20d with Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens with a little room for some other stuff. I think a 70-200 plus TC might be pushing it though so the Velocity 9 would be a better bet. I like the style of these sling packs. Anyway, take a look.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:04 PM   #3

Thanks...I was looking at the velocity 9 and was wondering if would do the trick.

So you have used the Vel 7 and like the comfort and design?

Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:24 PM   #4

I have both the velocity 7 and the 9. With the TC attached to you 70-200 you will probably want to go with the 9. But I believe that Tamrac has came out with a velocity 8 now that might be perfect for what you want.

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:33 PM   #5

photofun87 wrote:
Quote:
Good afternoon...Hello to this forum....

Can anyone recommend a good camera bag for a Nikon D-70 camera and 70-200 f2.8 lensattached with a teleconverter at times? (I do a lot of hiking and am looking for a toploading bag for easy access.

Any help would be appreciated.:?

Take a look also at the Lowepro Slingshot 200. It has a lifetime warranty
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:44 PM   #6

Thanks, great information....
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:06 AM   #7

I have the Slingshot and not happy with it. It really isn't that comfortable to access the camera.

An important point for left handers - the bag is right handed, making it even more difficult.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:23 AM   #8

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
I have the Slingshot and not happy with it. It really isn't that comfortable to access the camera.

An important point for left handers - the bag is right handed, making it even more difficult.
Keeping aside the fact that you are left handed, how is it uncomfortable to acess the camera? I'm not even sure how being left handed would be so bad, but since I'm right-handed, I probably can't relate. I think it works great having the bag slide completely around and in front of you. What would you improve? I'm not doubting you by the way, just trying to understand.

My only complaint with the bag and it would be true of all backpacks or even any large bags is that it is a hassle carrying so much equipmemt. I feel you need to own several bags so that the bag fits the occasion. I'm thinking of getting a side holster for when I just carry the body with one lens.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 2:47 PM   #9

I own7 bags (2 are not the carrying type) andall have different functions - the majority of my carrying bags are Lowepro.

Aside from the left-right hand issue - The opening is too small and restrictive and it is too difficult to access the lenses on the left and right of center. If you're cycling and come across an animal or bird you want to have QUICK access and this bag just doesn't allow it.

What would I improve! - make the complete side (top if in front of you) open, not just the center flap. And, somehow make it interchangeable for left and right handed - this is a big issue for me.

Hope that's clear and that it helps.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:03 PM   #10
rey

I recently looked at top loading camera bag before finally deciding on a waistpack. I ended up with Lowepro Orion, which is perfect for my gear (D50, 18-55, 70-300G, 50).

For toploading, I liked Lowepro Topload Zoom AW:
http://lowepro.com/Products/Toploadi...d_Zoom_AW.aspx

It's cheaper ($50) that others, and not as bulky looking.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote