Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2006, 4:06 AM   #1

Hi, I am have an upcoming conference that will be taking place indoors where lightings won't be so good.

Before I can get my dSLR or prosumer later on, I have to first put up with my Sony DSC-N1 compact camera. I plan to take a lot of photos during the upcoming conference which starts later on today. (And last about a week)

My question is, does the 8 mega-pixels CCD of my N1 captures the images at 8 MP and then downsize it to 1 MP when I set the resolution to 1 MP?

I ask this because I am very concerned about the noise issues I am about to face. I heard that a higher resolution camera will have less noise when you downsize the images...so that is why I am concerned to know does my N1 actually captures the images at 8 MP and then downsize them to 1 MP for me. Like that I can be assured about less noise when I set the image resolution to 1 MP.

I will be usingISO 800 at 1 MP without flash because I do not want to distract the conference. I hope to get the best results I can handle tonight.

Advice needed.

Regards.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:40 PM   #2

The sensor has 8MP, so the light hitting it is collected by all the pixels...so your answer is yes. I got a 5MP Minolta A1 (although, I could have had an 8MP A2, due to this very reason).

You might find some of the noise reduction software very helpful...Neatimge seems to be popular.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:13 AM   #3

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:42 AM   #4

Quote:
My question is, does the 8 mega-pixels CCD of my N1 captures the images at 8 MP and then downsize it to 1 MP when I set the resolution to 1 MP?
That is the only question you actually asked and Kalypso as usual answered it correctly. I have problems with the conclusions you will apparently draw from the answer though.

Quote:
I ask this because I am very concerned about the noise issues I am about to face. I heard that a higher resolution camera will have less noise when you downsize the images...so that is why I am concerned to know does my N1 actually captures the images at 8 MP and then downsize them to 1 MP for me. Like that I can be assured about less noise when I set the image resolution to 1 MP.
You do not reduce the noise by downsizing the image. If you view your 8Mp image so that it is displayed 100% where you have to scroll around to see the entire image because it won't all fit on the screen, then you will see less noise with a smaller display, This isn't because there is less noise but just because you are not blowing everything up including the noise with a 100% display. You would have the same effect by setting your viewer to fit the 8Mp image on the screen as downsizing the image.

All other things being equal the density of the sensors on the CCD determine the noise. The higher the density the higher the noise. So if the camera could actually use only 1Mp worth of sensors across the CCD the noise would be lower. That the camera uses all of the sensors and just downsizes the image when you set a lower MP means it is capturing the same noise.

If you have other reasons for shooting at 1Mp and that is enough for anything you might do with the images then it is fine to shoot with that. But if your only reason to shoot at that low resolution is to reduce noise so you can shoot at high ISO it isn't going to do anything for you.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:21 AM   #5

But don't you think the noises will be downsized and become finer grained as well when I shoot at 1 MP?

I always hear people comparing 6 MP VS 10 MP etc...

They say that if you downsize the 10 MP image to 6 MP, the 10 MP downsized to 6 MP image will have less noise than the original 6 MP one shot by the 6 MP camera.

BTW, I shoot hundreds of images already and so far...I am surprised that I could managed to get 90% non blurr shots. (I did tried really hard to keep steady at all times though).
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:17 PM   #6

Methinks that the noise is affected more by the ISO setting than the MP-if you hark back to film photography days,it was advised to use a lower ISO rated film in the interests of a finer grain;a higher ISO film could be used in difficult lighting situations/action photography but the trade off would be in getting images with a coarser grain(noise).
Kamal Hans is offline   Reply With Quote