Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1

Hi,

I have been debating between the sony w100 and the canon SD line ofcompact digital cameras. The thing keeping me from the canon line is the lack of manual focus where you can set the focus to infinity.

I am fairly new to photography and here is where I need expert advice... I often find myselftaking pictures through windows and I assumed that the auto focus would focus on the window instead of what was outside unless you manually set the focus to infinity. Is my thinking correct, or not? I am not knowlegable in how auto focus works and if this is a problem... all the cameras I've had before had manual focus controls.

Set me straight and maybe I can consider the small canons again..

Thanks,

mtugrad
Battle Creek, MI
mtugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2

mtugrad wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have been debating between the sony w100 and the canon SD line ofcompact digital cameras. The thing keeping me from the canon line is the lack of manual focus where you can set the focus to infinity.

I am fairly new to photography and here is where I need expert advice... I often find myselftaking pictures through windows and I assumed that the auto focus would focus on the window instead of what was outside unless you manually set the focus to infinity. Is my thinking correct, or not? I am not knowlegable in how auto focus works and if this is a problem... all the cameras I've had before had manual focus controls.

You only sometimes need manual focus depending on the camera. I don't really know much of these cameras, but depending on the focus system I can't really tell you Most cameras can only focus through glass if the glass is really clean and you can't really see any dirt, when looking through the glass:-)although at the zoo, my camera focused well through glass and it was a bit dirty!!! You should test it out at your local camera shop, they usually let you try cameras.....

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:01 AM   #3

I don't know about the entire line, but the Powershot SD630 offers a focus mode called "Infinity." This sets focus from 9.8 feet to infinity. Might be that that rest of them have this option, also. Look up the SD model that interests you in Steve's reviews.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:02 AM   #4

In general, the autofocus on digicams only works on vertical edges with strong contrast. Soas long asyou avoid window-frames etc., you should be able to focus through the glass.

Stuart
StuartR is offline   Reply With Quote