Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:42 PM   #1

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a few new filters and some Macro's are on my list.

However, I have a question.

Is there a benefit to buy them in smaller amounts and just combine them, or is it best to just buy one larger diopter filter?

Like basically, is it better to buy a set of +1, +2, and +4 or just one +7 filter? (and why is one of those better)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:40 PM   #2

How experienced are you at macros ?

A newbie getting a 7 diopter lens is, well like asking a newly qualified driver to drive a 250mph race car around a wet track..

At least if you buy a set of smaller diopter filters you can increase the power later when you are experienced.

But starting with an incredibly powerful filter is likely to yield one good shot every hundred or so and put you off the whole effort.

At least get good quality double element lens, like the Canon 500d or 250d , not the cheap and blurry specials on ebay.

Also have a read at the macro chapter written for the H1, your camera is close enough to benefit from AAKs advice.

Specifically look at the lens recommendations further down the page.

http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/part12.htm
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3

Now you have me really confused? One good shot out of 100? I guess I will go with the +1, +2 and +4 set (it's cheaper).

However, could you explain how I'll get so few good shots? I do quite a bit of Macro shots, but mostly it is just setting my camera to Macro mode and then zooming in all the way and getting as close as the camera will focus at. (I like to have a full telephoto because you get great background blur)

I was under the impression that a macro lens will just let me focus closer... but from what you said, it makes it harder as well... could someone explain?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:31 AM   #4

Because with a really really powerful close up lens, the depth of field (theamount of the subject infocus) might be less than a milimeter, so just a breath or the tiniest twitch of the hands will take the subject out of focus.

You might get the tip of a flies wing in focus and not the body etc etc ...

Best to start small and work your way up as you gain experience.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5

Ooo, I didn't realize that you had such a small area to work with using Macro filters, I thought it just let you focus closer, but I didn't know that meant narrowing the focus area.

I will definatly buy the set of 3 lenses, many thanks!