Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 25, 2003, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Changing program to edit image in Windows and FAX Viewer

I use Windows and FAX Viewer to view my photos in XP. I don't recall how or if I set it up this way, but at one time I had Photoshop 5.5 installed and when I clicked on "Closes this program and open the image for editing" it took me to Photoshop. I later uninstalled Photoshop and installed Photoshop Elements. Now when I click on "Closes this program, etc." , it brings up Windows Paint, which is useless. I reinstalled Photoshop, but it still brings up Paint. Could someone please advise me on how (or if) I can change the settings to get back to going to either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to edit my photos. I cannot find anything in options, preferences, etc. to make that change. I am strictly an amateur at both computers and digital photography. I use the edit programs mainly to just rotate photos or lighten dark ones, no sophisticated stuff. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
ellisrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2003, 5:57 PM   #2

Default Re: Changing program to edit image in Windows and FAX Viewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisrue
I use Windows and FAX Viewer to view my photos in XP. I don't recall how or if I set it up this way, but at one time I had Photoshop 5.5 installed and when I clicked on "Closes this program and open the image for editing" it took me to Photoshop. I later uninstalled Photoshop and installed Photoshop Elements. Now when I click on "Closes this program, etc." , it brings up Windows Paint, which is useless. I reinstalled Photoshop, but it still brings up Paint. Could someone please advise me on how (or if) I can change the settings to get back to going to either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to edit my photos. I cannot find anything in options, preferences, etc. to make that change. I am strictly an amateur at both computers and digital photography. I use the edit programs mainly to just rotate photos or lighten dark ones, no sophisticated stuff. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Run regedit

Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ SystemFileAssociations\ image\shell\edit\command

Click the key here, and enter the location of the picture editor you wish to use,
e.g., "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Photoshop.exe" "%1". The default program
is MS paint, i.e., "%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"
lill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 6:13 PM   #3

Quote:
I am strictly an amateur at both computers and digital photography
Reg edit's a bit strong and risky for pc newbies. Doesn't XP offer the option through My Computer/View/Folder options/File types to re-assign the correct executable? Alternatively doesn't Elements (sorry don't use it) have a 'set as default' editor option?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 6:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Quote:
I am strictly an amateur at both computers and digital photography
Reg edit's a bit strong and risky for pc newbies. Doesn't XP offer the option through My Computer/View/Folder options/File types to re-assign the correct executable? Alternatively doesn't Elements (sorry don't use it) have a 'set as default' editor option?
not if he still wants to view them with the Fax image editor first *then* edit. ( I had the same problem thats how i know the solution)

The reassign option only works if you want to double click an image and have it open in a particular program, although I must admit I didn't notice the Armature comment.
lill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 8:46 PM   #5

Thank you both for your replies. I think Lill has the answer to the problem, but I will probably wait for my son, who is much more knowledgeable about computers, do the regedit thing. I am an amateur computer user, but not a RANK amateur. I do know how to assign certain programs to open certain file extensions. I understand that it would be easier to just open all my jpegs in Photoshop as far as doing any editing, but I like seeing my photos in full screen in Windows photo and FAX viewer rather than half a screen in Photoshop. BTW, you probably already know that Photoshop Elements is just a watered down version of Photoshop that is a freebie that comes with some new hardware items.
Since I just have an old version of Photoshop, and a new version of Elements, and since I really don't do any very extensive editing, I thought it might be easier to just use Elements. That was where made my first mistake in trying to change. Thanks again,
Ellis
Old May 28, 2003, 6:40 AM   #6

I just want to publicly thank Lill for giving me the exact answer that I was looking for to solve my problem. I took the bull by the horns (so to speak) and did the regedit thing myself and it worked perfectly. I am now promoting myself from "amateur" to "modestly knowledgeable" about computers. Also a big thanks to Steve for providing this forum.
Ellis