Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:43 PM   #1

Hey everyone. This is not what camera should I buy but where should I buy it from. I am planning to buy the canon S3 IS and have found differnet prices from differnet vendors. Since I am investing $$$ I would want to know from you guys should I buy from a reputable store like best buy,costco,fry's where if something goes wromg I can go to the store and have it replaced or returned or buy it online from bhphoto, newegg etc. where I will have to shipp it back to them. also if I buy it from best buy they have a service plan for around $80 should I buy that plan to protect the investment. Buying from best buy,costco etc would be more expensive than the online vendors.

Please suggest
sid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:01 PM   #2
rey

Where do you live? If you don't want to buy it from big box stores like costco or bestbuy, and afraid to buy it online, like B&H, a good compromise would be a legit photography store. They usually have the same prices as B&H, except you have to pay tax. There are not a lot of them around, but big metro area should have them.

Personally, I bought my stuff online (Cameta, B&H and Adorama). If you do buy it online, be sure to checkout resellerratings.com as there are a lot of scams out there.

If you want to buy 3rd party extended warranty, you can look at online stores for MACK warranty that applies to your camera (it depends on price range). You don't have to buy the camera from them, but you do have to buy the warranty and send in the info to MACK (i think you can do it online also) within 30 days. I don't have any experience with them, so I can comment on that. But next time I buy a $500+ lens I'll be sure to get a MACK for it.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 5:07 PM   #3

Hey Rey that was helpful. I checked the Mack website and was looking at their list of dealers. I will have to narrow down the dealers with good ratings and reviews keeping in mind the cost. I guess if I buy it from best buy it is going to cost me more.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 5:36 PM   #4

Rey I compared some prices and here they are . Buydig who carries Mack Five Year Total Digital Camera Warrantyand the camera would cost me $426.95.

Adorama who carries Mack 3 Year Digital Still Camera Warranty and the camera would cost me $444.90.

I also checked the resellerratings and Buyidig has a rating of Six-Month Rating:9.42 . and Adorama has Six-Month Rating:8.58

I still don't know which will be better. Or should I go for best buy with a 5 year service plan which is $80 and I can drop in their shop anythime without the hassle of shipping and all. I fellso confused.

Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:00 PM   #5

Just for an FYI, I just purchased a Canon S2 IS at Buydig.com...

Just like most people, I was hesitant to buy from online sites.

I did some research and found less negatives here than most places... I live in MA and I ordered it at 3PM on Monday, it shipped that day and I had it that Tueday via FedEx.

Granted they are in NJ, but still...
And I only paid $290. for it shipped.

And no... I am in no way affiliated with them and I have nothing to gain from putting their name out...LOL!!!

Gary
garjowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:31 PM   #6

Hey garjowan. it feels good to hear fom someone who has experienced buying from these sites.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:33 PM   #7

No problem Sid...

I understand the dilema purchasing online, I myself have 2 business online and am constantly trying to reassure potential purchasers to do their homework and snoop around asking questions and researching reputations.

Like I said, they treated me right, fast shipping, great price, no moronic salesman calling and trying to oversell...
I would purchase from them again.

Now, if your ever interested in Poker supllies, fishing gearor marine electronics... gimme a shout LOL!!!
J/K, not trying to spam!

Good luck in your purchase

Gary
garjowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:48 PM   #8

:G:G:GLOL
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:00 AM   #9

Newegg or bhphoto are great vendor to deal with.
I just spent over 1k with BH this week.
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:33 PM   #10

I bought all my cameras including my latest New Canon Rebel from eBay. Eventhough eBay is getting a bad rep now adays for second rated products, I never had any problems with my camera. You just have to go with a seller with good feedback. Saved hundreds of dollars. Best Buy is a rip off, I think.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Anyone know where to find a good LCD video projector to hook up to my laptop for presenting my photos and projects? I need an HDTV ready projector.
Chris1026 is offline   Reply With Quote