Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 26, 2003, 1:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 388
Default Nikon Coolpix 5700 or Sony DSC-F717?

Hello everyone...

I want to buy a photo camera. I'm thinking of buying either Nikon Coolpix 5700 or Sony DSC-F717.
Do you know which one of these two is the best. And why do you think it is? Please let me know.

Tnxs

Greetz
melanie
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2003, 2:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
koruvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 439
Default

This is a copy of a previous post I made to a similar question:

When I was searching for a 5MP camera last December I also narrowed it down to the Sony F717 and the Nikon 5700.

I purchased the F717 thinking it was the right choice. I also have the Sony TRV18 MiniDV so having 2 FM50 batteries on hand put me at ease. The F717 is a great camera however, if you want the colors to match your subject then I suggest the 5700. The F717 captures reds, greens and blues too vividly for my taste. I found myself editing the photos I took 50% of the time. With the 5700 I have learned to trust the camera 100% when it comes to color, I don't even trust the monitor. Camera to hard drive to printer, thats all

I use the 5700 mainly for portraits and weddings (75% of the time) the other 25% is various, marco to mountains type shooting.

If I needed a camera for fast action and/or low light I'd go with the Sony.

See the difference below, they were the only comparison shots I have left, I deleted the others a few months ago.

http://www.pixett.ca/pics

I ended up taking the F717 back after 2 weeks and exchanging it for the 5700. No regrets.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 3:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 388
Default

Thank you very much for your reply!

I think i'll go with the 5700...


I'ts to bad you can't combine the two of them
The good zoom of the 5700 with the great lowlight pictures from the 717.....

But i think I'll be taking more close-ups than lowlight pics...

I'm going to the USA on my holiday and i want to take a lot of pictures there.. so I have to be quick in my choise!

Ah well
I'll let you know!
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 7:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 388
Default

This afternoon i'm gonna order my Coolpix 5700

:lol:

Can't wait !
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 3:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 388
Default

My 5700 came in today

I'm really happy with this choise..

My father has the 717 now, so I can use them both
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 4:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
digcamfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,422
Default

Hi Melanie,

Congratulations on your purchase of a Coolpix 5700 and welcome to the forum

Below you will find a thread for some cheap Sandisk 512 UltraCompactFlash.

You may find it cheaper but shipping is only $2.95!

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=409275

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 388
Default

i'm the proud owner of a Xdrive
So I can emty my sticks at any time !

Ideal for my holiday in a few weeks
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 6:36 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43
Default lucky you didnt choose the sony

That Sony has a recall in effect for out of focus photos. Lucky you didnt buy it!
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 388
Default

Hmm But my father did get that one!

Since when is that recall?
Have you got some info for me about this?
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 1:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
Hmm But my father did get that one!

Since when is that recall?
Have you got some info for me about this?
Check out this page from Oct.31, 2002:
http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/news/dsc.html

It describes the problem, and the range of serial numbers that are affected by the problem.

Let us know.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:50 PM.