Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:32 PM   #21

Yep blame Eric S for making you buy a top end DSLR :G

Just be carefull about warranties on expensive items you buy out of country.
I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H and have never had any troubles.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:24 PM   #22

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Yep blame Eric S for making you buy a top end DSLR :G

Just be carefull about warranties on expensive items you buy out of country.
I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H and have never had any troubles.
Hey PeterP,

Tell me about the "USA Warranty". Does it mean that the product will only be honored in the US? As the name implies.

In all likelihood we should have no troubles buying from a reputable US retailer like B&H or Adorama (NYC). But in the end we are still taking a chance...

Btw...what did you order from B&H? If you don't mind my asking. Any thing I should know about? I know you said you didn't have any problems. But wasn't sure if you meant in transit or in terms of getting a reliable product.

I just checked http://www.vistek.ca. One of the largest photography shops in Toronto next to Henry's. As you may or may not know. Not sure where you're from exactly. Any how, they are now selling the Nikon D2X $4299 CAD. That's down $300 CAD from where it was at a month ago. If I was in the market right now I'd be tempted. :-)

So depending on the model we Canucks actually still save some bucks.

Then there is the Canon 5D at $3799 CAD...if only it could do 5 fps instead of only 3 fps.

Any how time to catch some go....have a good week!! :-)
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:13 AM   #23

I'm not positive about a USA warrantie in Canada,
I'd worry about not having a Canadian or North American warrantie.
If they honnor it probably varries with the manfacturer, maybe you can ask the makers customer service before ordering?

Yes, I visit Vistek often, I'm about an hour north of Toronto, on Lake Simcoe. :-)
I buy my big ticket items like bodies and lenses locally, from Vistek, DownTownCamera, HeadShots and even Henrys.
Personal thing, but I like to go in and physically handle the unit I am about to buy.
I figure this way there will be no surprises.

I've ordered things like tripod collars, radio triggers, and filters from B&H the process has been good. In-stock orders ship quick and arrived in not too long a time, I prefer to use parcel post instead of UPS.

After having some bad UPS experiences, they really nail you with fees for crossing the border. My worst experience with them was around a 700$ charges for "brokerage & taxes" to bring a 2300$ order into Canada.
Guess I'll find out agian next week, I'm expecting a 500$ product table to arrive and the vendor went and shipped it via UPS :roll:
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:48 PM   #24

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
I'm not positive about a USA warrantie in Canada,
I'd worry about not having a Canadian or North American warrantie.
If they honnor it probably varries with the manfacturer, maybe you can ask the makers customer service before ordering?

Yes, I visit Vistek often, I'm about an hour north of Toronto, on Lake Simcoe. :-)
I buy my big ticket items like bodies and lenses locally, from Vistek, DownTownCamera, HeadShots and even Henrys.
Personal thing, but I like to go in and physically handle the unit I am about to buy.
I figure this way there will be no surprises.

I've ordered things like tripod collars, radio triggers, and filters from B&H the process has been good. In-stock orders ship quick and arrived in not too long a time, I prefer to use parcel post instead of UPS.

After having some bad UPS experiences, they really nail you with fees for crossing the border. My worst experience with them was around a 700$ charges for "brokerage & taxes" to bring a 2300$ order into Canada.
Guess I'll find out agian next week, I'm expecting a 500$ product table to arrive and the vendor went and shipped it via UPS :roll:
Hey Peter,

I've been e-mailing B&H about the warranties actually. They said that the "USA Warranty" is only good in the US. But they do offer a "Mack International 3-year worldwide warranty". But after Googling about the Mack warranty it sounds like something to avoid.

I'd much rather buy my first DSLR body locally. With a Canadian or worldwide warranty. Avoiding the possible hassels of buying a Mack International warranty.

What kind of warranty do DSLRs come with if purchased in Canada? Do they come with a Canadian Warranty? Or an international one?

As for buying big ticket items I too prefer the personal touch. Don't want to chance anything. So, if I can't wait for the next ver of the Canon 1D Mark2N and want one this year (highly unlikely) I'll probably drive down to Vistek on Queen E. Or to Henry's (near to my place). I wonder if Henry will "price-match" Vistek. Hmmm...

Besides, other than the Mark2N, we actually save money buying locally from places like Vistek. The Nikon D2X is currently selling for $4299.00. Down $200.00 from a month or so ago. Which is comparable to US prices. Without having to worry about "import tax" if nailed at the border...assuming you're personally bring the DSLR home.

Then there's the Canon 5D at $3800.00 CAD. All I want in the next ver of the 5D is "5 fps" and better battery life (compareable to that of Nikon DSLRs).

Cya.

Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:07 AM   #25

I've never gotten Henrys' to do much in the way of price matching :roll:
But DownTown Camera (On Queen just west of Henry's outlet store.) has been pretty good, although I hear they now have a new owner.

The warranty on Canon bodies I believe is 1 year, mine are all expired now and I have never had to use them. It is Canadian not international.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:00 PM   #26

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
I've never gotten Henrys' to do much in the way of price matching :roll:
But DownTown Camera (On Queen just west of Henry's outlet store.) has been pretty good, although I hear they now have a new owner.

The warranty on Canon bodies I believe is 1 year, mine are all expired now and I have never had to use them. It is Canadian not international.
Hello Peter,

Noted. Maybe one of these days if I'm downtown I'll drop by Downtown Camera. I have their website bookmarked but never had the chance to take a look in their shop. New owner or not. And being that Henry's isn't in the habit of "price-matching" I guess I might have to trek downtown for the deals.

Ok "Canadian Warranty". Fine with me. As I said I'll most likely be buying locally. Prefer the personal touch when it comes to big ticket items.

Looking forwards to see what Canon will do to update the 5D and 1D Mark II-N.

Have a good weekend!!

P.S. I think I'm going to bow out of this thread as I think it's outlived it's usefullness. What was the topic again?? Feel free to PM me any time!