Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Jul 19, 2003, 2:08 PM   #1

Default Upgrading from 618?

I bought a HP Photosmart 618 a couple years ago. It started having trouble almost immediately but I was able to fix it the first couple times. Unfortunately, it's now both defunct and out of warranty. HP offered me a trade-in deal, with the choice of the 720, 812, or 850. Are any of these models worth shelling out the money, or should I avoid HP, given my earlier problems?
draughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2003, 12:17 AM   #2

I'd go with the 850. From what I've heard it is a good ultra-zoom camera.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:17 PM   #3
NTT

Yes, I second that since I own one. For the same price for the Photosmart 850, you can't find a better zoom in the market. It's an 8x optical (actual zoom) + 7x digital (digitally cropped). It was worth the money I put out.

If you don't care much about the zoom, than, you have some homeworks to do. All cameras in the same 4MP category, has some different functions depend on what you need and what your pocket can afford.

The HP 850 however, has been a great camera for me. I love the zoom and the size since I have long fingers. It has a good grip and enable me to hold the camera more steady. I also like the large LCD, 2". Photos are very sharp and it is a very simple camera to use.

Wish I know how to post some photos to show you the zoom.
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:53 AM   #4

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for your help and recommendations. I ended up buying the HP 812xi, which was cheaper than the 850 but still had the features I wanted.
John
draughts is offline   Reply With Quote