Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:26 PM   #1

Default hp 945 v. Oly c-750?

I've decided my Fuji S602 is too big, so I'm looking at an Oly c-750. I like the larger lens, 4MP resolution, however...

The HP 945 is getting in the way of my purchase? The HP has a Fuji lens (good), 5MP resoltuion, but only an 8X lens. The Oly has only 4MP resolution, but has a 10 X lens, is smaller (10 oz. vs. 17 oz), and seems to have more features. The HP has an auto-assist focus lamp, which the Oly lacks.

Of course if my Fuji is too big, then the HP is also too too big. The AI folcus and the 5MP just keep me wondering which to get.

So, what do i get?

Thanks,

Allan
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2003, 2:15 PM   #2
da

Hi, another camera to consider is Kodak DX6490, at 4mp and 10x optical it seems good. review is at steve's. The review is generally flattering..
--da
da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 3:15 PM   #3

Default Other camera's too

Yes, I noticed the DX6490. In fact, I've even started a little comparison page for big zoom cameras at:

http://allan.etowns.net/~allan/allan/cameras

Please take a look and let me know if I've missed anything.

Thanks,

Allan
Old Sep 6, 2003, 10:39 PM   #4
da

Hi Allan,

Your website is excellent. I am in the market for a big zoom 4-5 MP camera and it is really very useful to look at a good comparison of the cameras that fit the bill!

The only extra information that might be useful is 1) If the optical zoom is continous , e.g. the HP 945 zoom is in 13 discreet steps according to the photo.net review. 2) What extra optics are available for each camera, Olympus and Fuji have a full selection of affordable telephoto and wide angle lens... I am not sure about the others!

If only the panasonic FZ1s was made with a 4 MP sensor !

--da
da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 6:19 AM   #5

I think the lack of focus iluminator will eventually drive you crazy. I had a Fuji 2800Z that took great outdoor pictures, but would not take any low light pictures because it could not focus. I love my HP 850 because of the illuminator.
So personally, I will never get any camera that does not have that feature.
Good luck shopping. There are so many great cameras to choose from.
lotapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:09 PM   #6

Default low light focuisng...

I just took some pictures with my C-750 around a campfire. There was not enough light for focusing, so I set it to manual focus, guessed at the distance (the C-750 has a distance meter), and the pictures came out pretty good.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:45 PM   #7
mik

dont choose an hp, poor battery life, dooesnt matter how good the zoom is, if ur outdoors and use the lcd and not near a plug point, bat will die too quick, very irritating!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:04 AM   #8
NTT

You will find battery problems with any high resolution cameras. The trick is to buy cameras that uses AA batteries since you can use the rechargeable type and they're quite inexpensive these days.
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote