Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Oct 20, 2003, 8:07 AM   #1

Default HP850 Tips & Tricks

Is there any tips and tricks thread about HP 850?

If there isn’t can we start one here?

I would really like to get a tip to take night photos in my HP850, once the Auto mode isn’t very precise with the flash setting. Sometimes the flash is very quickly and the photo becomes too dark.

What do you advice?

J.C.
solracesoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:32 PM   #2

Great idea J.C. although I must admit I took some auto exposures at night whilst on holiday and was really impressed with the results.

But yes a Tips and Tricks thread would be great.

Come on People !!

Pete
pete252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 11:14 PM   #3
NTT

solracesoj,

What's the distance you're trying to take photos from?

I just took some photos indoor. The room was dark, no lights, and took the photos on auto with the camera flash, I had great result. The distance was about 15-17 ft. from the camera. The camera was set on 4MP resolution with "Best" compression.

Try to focus first then take the photo. Focus first by pressing the Shutter Button halfway, once the Focus Brackets (center of the display screen) lit up in green, press the shutter button all the way to snap the shot.

You can also try to use the "Exposure Compensation" and see if that would help. You can find instruction on pg. 28 on your manual. Basically, set it to the + numbers if you need to brighten up your photos.

Good luck and let us know the result.

NTT
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:24 PM   #4

I must admit that I was using the auto setting with no flash - for real night shots across a bay, auto setting worked really well.

Pete
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:52 AM   #5

Sorry for the late reply.

That’s right Pete the auto setting with no flash it’s perfect for photos indoor with no movement. And we have to keep the camera real steady.

For the other indoor photos (with movement) I’ve tried changing the With Balance and it works fine also. For instance a picture to the moon on the dark night we should change the white balance to a single point and on the other side a picture on a restaurant with low light I think the best way is to change the White Balance to the general area.

What do you think?

J.C.
solracesoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:52 AM   #6

Can I use 256 MB SD card on HP850 or it works only with 128 MB?
sstarless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:23 PM   #7

Sorry for the late reply but yes I use a Sandisk 256mb card and it works fine.

Pete
Old May 12, 2005, 8:03 AM   #8

I have a Lexar 512 mB card and have not had any problems with it at all. On the 4 MP resolution with best compression I can hold almost 500 pictures.

Does anyone have any tips for focusing? I use the brackets to focus, and I have also gone into the menus and set landscape or portrait settings, but the trouble I have had the most is I try to take a nice close up of something like a flower and for some reason it focuses on the grass in the backgroung. Especially if it is a yellow flower against the bright green grass. I have tried the macro setting but that did not help any. I also find that action shots are really blurry. It is like my shutter just will not close fast enough for me.

I know there is a way to set the Aperture Priority and the Shutter Priority, but to be honest, I dont know what either of those do.
Reena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 5:11 PM   #9

Reena wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for focusing? I use the brackets to focus, and I have also gone into the menus and set landscape or portrait settings, but the trouble I have had the most is I try to take a nice close up of something like a flower and for some reason it focuses on the grass in the backgroung. Especially if it is a yellow flower against the bright green grass. I have tried the macro setting but that did not help any.

I have had this problem and I think I got round it by having the subject larger ( by zoom )so that it fills the brackets, also I would try 'spot' metering from the exposure menu.

I also find that action shots are really blurry. It is like my shutter just will not close fast enough for me.

If you are using a long zoom setting then it's probably 'camera shake' or more likely not enough light - try flash on if the subject is fairly close.

I know there is a way to set the Aperture Priority and the Shutter Priority, but to be honest, I dont know what either of those do.

Aperture Priority allows you to set the aperture and it will work out the optimim speed of shutter for the light level, this is good when you need a good depth of field, i.e. most things in focus both near and far away. Then you would use a high F number. To do it the other way where you wanted a small depth of field use a small F number like 2.8
then the main subject would be in focus and nothing else.

Shutter Priority is good for action subjects, set it to a high speed and as long as you have enough light the it will freeze the motion. Set it to a slow speed and backgrounds will be in focus but the action will blur.
[/quote]