Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:32 AM   #1

Default Photosmart 320 has hidden settings

I found some interesting hidden settings on my Photosmart 320 in "Admistration" mode (hold shutter & flash when turning on).

"Admistration" mode is normally used to update the firmware but also gives you a menu with a option named "IQA setting" which brings up a submenu with the following options:
-ISO setting interesting HP hid this and aperture setting/exposure time in a "service mode" rather than through the regular interface
-RAW mode (interlaced/two field RAW image)-this isn't a "camera RAW" type raw mode but rather is a standard raw image format mode.
-Aperture setting
-Exposure time

I found it very interesting HP hid ISO and aperture setting/exposure time in a "service mode" rather than through the regular interface.

The raw files when processed in Photoshop appear as a B&W image, but I colorize each of them.

Last edited by babya; Jan 17, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:22 AM   #2
Administrator

I'm surprised it even opened them.

If you want the files from that model to be supported by some of the popular raw converters around (excluding Adobe Camera Raw), I'd suggest sending file samples to Dave Coffin (the author of dcraw.c, an open source raw converter).

A number of raw converters use some or all of Dave's code for raw conversion (or use his code as as model for understanding the file structure for a given raw file). So, once Dave adds a new camera model, programs using his code will usually support after their next update.

He's pretty good about adding those types of files, even if the ability to shoot in raw is not officially supported by the camera manufacturer.

See his dcraw.c page.

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

Here's the pertinent section:

Quote:
Does dcraw work with my camera?

Most likely, yes. If your camera is not on the Supported list, try dcraw anyway. If it doesn't work, post a raw image to a website and e-mail me the URL. If you don't have a website, use YouSendIt, RapidShare, Sendshack, ShareFile, sendspace, File-Upload, or Megaupload. Before choosing a photo to send, read the next question:
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:15 AM   #3

The RAW files produced with this camera aren't of the Camera RAW type.

The file extension of those produced are .raw (which in Photoshop brings up a window called Photoshop RAW and not Adobe Camera RAW).

Last edited by babya; Jan 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't follow you. It's probably a raw file of some flavor, and Adobe just isn't using the correct demosaic process for them, You'll often find vast differences between raw files produced by a given camera model (which is one reason why you'll usually need to find a raw converter that has specific support for the raw files produced by a given camera, even if the extension is the same and the camera brand is the same, due to byte offsets used to store data, different storage methods, different color filter array designs and more).

It's not uncommon to see manufacturers offering a raw format in hidden maintenance menus. That way they can check for sensor defects more easily.

One example of a camera like that is the Konica Revio KD-510z (hidden service menus with a raw file option). It's using an extension that implies it's not a raw file. But, it is a raw file. ;-)

See this old thread about it:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ko...libration.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:50 AM   #5

Thanks dfor the explanation, Jimc.

The .raw files bring up a "Photoshop RAW" import dialog (which means the files are not Camera RAW).
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:37 PM   #6

The Photosmart 620 which is basically the 320 but with a zoom lens has the same adminstration menu and hidden settings as the 320.