Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:07 PM   #1

Default Is the A70 worth spending $100 more on over the HP 735???

I've never owned a digital camera before and would like to get a good all-round camera for everyday stuff or vacation's and what not. I was going to get the HP 735 because I need a new printer too and if I get a new HP printer and HP camera then I get a $75 rebate from HP. I can still get a $50 dollar rebate if I get the Canon A70 and A HP printer. My question is how much better is the A70 over the HP 735 camera? I had my mind made up that I was going to get the HP, but I keep hearing such good things about the A70 and several negatives about the HP. I want to be able to take fairly good indoor/low light pics and I've heard some complaints on the HP in this area and good things about the A70. Please post all your opinions because I'm looking to buy one or the other within a week or two. Thanks

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:42 PM   #2

Interesting question....

First of all, I would like to say that some criticism against HP735 is a little bit exaggerated. It is not true that it cannot take indoor pictures. I posted some examples of pix taken indoor without flash at:

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.h...sword=48863518

It happens to me sometimes to hear peole complaining about the poor performance of digicams (non only the HP735) in low light situations: in most cases I discovered it is beacuse they don't know even the basic photografic concepts, like exposure time, ISO setting, etc...

Keep in mind that to take picture in low light you have 2 ways:

a - using the flash: this works only within a limited distance: 2.5 m. for HP735. Otherwise you need an external flash, which is not available for the 735

b - without flash: you need to be aware that the camera will select a long exposure time (1/30 sec. and slower...) and you have to hold it steadily, or even use a tripod, otherwise the image will come out blurry. Also, your subject must not move.

Excuse me if I repeat such trivial concepts, but I found surpisingly many people who don't understand them!

So, given the above, how good is the HP735 in low light? The only comparison that I have is with an HP945, which in fact takes much better picture (nicer colors, sharpness, etc..) both with and without flash. But this is not a fair comaprison: HP945 is bigger, heavier and twice as expensive as the HP735...

As far as the A70 is concerned, I never used one, but considers this:

- it has an AF assist lamp: this should avoid (or at least reduce) an annoying problems that happens with the HP735: out-of-focus pictures

- it is very highly rated by both professional reviewers and users: see for example :www.dpreview.com. The reviewer there gives the highets mark and explicitely says that it is worthwile to spend 100$ more with respect to cheaper digicams...

- however, even such an highly rated camera is not without is problems: some complain about "soft" images... And someone says it is not so good in low light.....

A final consideration: while most cameras, even the so called "point and shoot", can take good or excellent shots outdoor, my feeling is that only the prosumer or DSLR are capable of excellent resuts in low light or night shots.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I hope I gave you some valuable input.

Regards,

Dario
dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 3:00 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply and I think from everything that i've read in the last week or so the Canon A75 is by far a better camera. The more I've been reading though the more I'm starting to think that i will get bored with the limited amount of control that either one of these cameras have. My friend has had a Sony F717 since it came out and he loves it. I have seen his pics. and they look amazing. Now that this camera is so much cheaper than it was a year ago I'm thinking about getting it. I've so much good stuff about this camera, the only thing i don't like is sony's memory sticks, but it's not that big a deal. It's not exactly a small camera either, but I can always get a small travel camera later on. Thanks again.

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:36 AM   #4

Hi,

I see you changed your target a little bit!.

Mybe you could have a look also to the HP945, which is not very expensive.

It is a good compromise between "point & shoot" and "prosumer " cameras: it has good quality and reasonable features, yet it is not difficult to use and not very expensive.

Unfortunately it is affected by a strange problem: when shooting against the sun or with a very bright background (snow, for example) the images are ruined by some horizontal lines. Not all of them, but a good percentage.

IT looks like HP claims this problem has been fixed now: if this is true, than I would recommend this cameras.

If you would like to know more and also see some pix, there is a dedicated web site: www.hp945.com .

Have fun with whatever camera you choose!

Regards,

Dario
dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 11:32 AM   #5

yes, any cam is better than a hp, i have owned both.
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 8:59 PM   #6

dariob wrote:
Quote:
If you would like to know more and also see some pix, there is a dedicated web site: www.hp945.com .
There are a lot of great looking pictures on that site... very detailed. Hmm... I wonder if there's a similar site for the 735?
MetalAZ is offline   Reply With Quote