Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:04 PM   #1

This is my first message after reading-up quite a few reviews on this site.

I had to mention, I came across what I thought was a good deal concerning the R507 with dock combo. It is pretty cheap, but I'm having to return a second camera for the same techincal problems, namely dead pixels on the LCD screen & a large amount of noise when trying to record sound.

I just tried 2 different cameras, and both have the same problems which leads me to think of possible production problems at HP.

I am returning the second one, but I wanted to warn poeple, if they are thinking about this camera, hold & examine it out before you buy one. (I ordered it by mail...bad I know...) I just thought it was a low-end version of the R707, but it isn't really... Comes with a plastic face plate, and generally feels very flimsy compared.

Anyhow, Off to shop for another one...
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:47 PM   #2

Ther is some mistery surrounding this camera. Someone says it is equal to R607 (see http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10697935).

Also, please note it is not in the official HP site (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...213-64342.html)

It looks like HP did some confusing mistake here. Who knows what happened?

Dario

dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3

Having held TWO R507 in my hands, I can safely say it DOES EXIST (not a Photoshop edit as has been suggested), it has an all plastic construction, and in my view has a very questionable quality control process. (I can try to make a small review or answer most questions concerning this camera, but I'm returning it tomorrow)

All the problems mentioned above should have been picked up at manufacturing, especially when it happens twice with practicaly the exact same problems in 2 seperate cameras.

Anyhow, with the cheap price (+/- $250us ) it comes with a dock & 2 li-ion batteries. At that price point, it makes me now wonder if HP is not just trying to dump these questionable quality cameras instead of making them a complete write-off. (HP Quality?)
Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:03 PM   #4

Hi,

of course it exists!. I later found out that, for some resaon, the (apparently) same camera is called R507 inU.K and Italyand R607 in USA and Canada. I didn't check out all the others countries...

As far as i Know, it is the only HP camera that has 2 names.

Regards,

Dario

Old Oct 26, 2004, 3:34 PM   #5

I had bought the R507 in Canada, go figure... :?:

Hmm, any suggestions on a new camera? Looking in the 5-6meg range, & small for traveling. I saw the E550 from Fuji, but a little big for me. I'm looking for a good compromise.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 3:22 PM   #6

I suppose you don't want to try an HP camera any more, otherwise the R707 could be a good choice (based on reviews I've seen so far).

As far as I know one of the best cameras in the 5 Mpix range is Canon A95, but I suspect it is a more expensive than HP.

Regards,

Dario

Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:37 AM   #7

I think I see what I'm looking for in the Panasonic DMC-FX7, as soon as I can get my hands on one to test it out first. (Learned that one the hard way):angry:

And no HP is no longer in the equation for me.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 4:08 PM   #8

I'm looking forward to Steve's review of the R607 with the Pentax lens.
I had a 707 for a couple of months - I was extremely pleased with the color accuracy and gray scale processing of the camera but the pictures - while clear - seemed to lack a dynamic sharpness. Also the macro wasn't macro enough for me. I sold my 707 to a friend in the sign business - a novice user - thought it would be perfect for him - color accuracy, easy panorama mode for storefronts. Hoped the Pentax lens might make a difference on the 607. Called HP tech support - they claimed the 707 and 607 used the same lens; I'm suspicioius. Anyway, while the cameras look a little clunky and the build quality isn't as slick or even as good as some others, my eyes were VERY IMPRESSED with the image processing of the electronics and I'd be willing to consider even a "step-down" to the 607 as a replacement if the lens is state of the art sharp. Looking for clarification in more ways than one!
bigiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:33 AM   #9

After all I went for a Sony DSC-W1, which best fitted my price/size compromise. And while the test shots I had for the R507 were good & sharp (Pentax lens), and the in-camera adjusting is really usefull (Red-eye, brighting...), it's not up to the W1's overall picture quality. (my subjective opinion, not counting the 4 vs. 5 mpixel difference).

And that is the end of my tale... :G
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:08 PM   #10

i just bought the r507 combp dock myself and so far it has performed very well except i cant get the pictures to come out on the tv....as i'm writing this i'm and online in live chat with a support person from HP and no luck yet.

have you or anyone experienced this problem with the r507...or do know of something i'm doing wrong....

i've got the jacks hooked up proper and it keeps asking me on the back of the camera to push button to view tv slideshow but nothing comes out...

i've tried using mode in vcr, dvd, auxeven connecting jacks to vcr....nothing comes out

can anybody help me out????
kpccet is offline   Reply With Quote