Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Oct 23, 2002, 10:20 AM   #1

Default HP Photosmart cameras with HP 7150?

I have been looking into purchasing a digicam + printer combination for my sister-in-law (and her husband) for Christmas. They are technically illiterate, but like the idea of digital photography (they saw what I do with my Coolpix 990).

While I'm sure eventually they will figure out how to use a photo manipulation app, I'm positive that initially *every* photo they print will be exactly as the camera took it. For these two, I really like the idea of the "plug camera into the printer" idea: it seems to remove a lot of the idiot factor from the equation :-)

The price of the HP 7150 is very attractive. The literature from HP's website (http://www.hp.ca/products/static/q16...html?OID=-9476) states that you can direct-print from "select HP digital cameras". The cameras section of the site never actually tells me *which* camera(s) has this ability. My local photo retail chain in Toronto (http://www.henrys.com) has a claim that the 812 is compatible, but this camera is too expensive for us.

Can anyone confirm which cameras currently for sale will do a direct print to a HP 7150? Can you link to a manufacturer's website or a reputable review site that can verify this? Thank you in advance.

Darren Best
darrenbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2002, 3:47 PM   #2

I am not sure what the HP 7150 is, but my husband just bought me a HP 720 Photosmart that connects to the TV, has instant share, email send etc. I got it because I want shots of my products for the web site I am working on ,for my business.

Believe me, I am NOT a camera person, but this camera is extremely easy to use. I am truly pleased with the colour and sharpness of my pictures. It may be a little bit bigger than some, but to me that is not a problem. Glad I also have the docking station as well. The zoom is also a plus.

Anyway, I am extremely pleased.

:lol: CanGran
CanGran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 12:38 AM   #3

The 7150 is one of HP's newer (but cheaper) photo printers. It advertises as being able to connect directly with "select" HP cameras.
darrenbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:35 PM   #4

The "select" digital cameras are the HP Photosmart 620, 720 and 820 from what I've read. I'm going to buy my wife the 620 and the 7150 printer for Christmas.

Right now, HP has a mail in rebate if you buy a printer and an HP digital camera.

Here's the link if you're interested.

http://h30040.www3.hp.com/offers/off...&category_id=3
Carthojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:24 AM   #5

Hi, I'm having some same "decision problems" on buying a digicam, which includes the HP PhotoSmart 620.
So: would you recommend the HP PhotoSmart 620 to others, or not? I will only use it for "point,click,shoot" sessions, not for "artfull" pictures or something like that.
Thanks !!!!
RoeckieTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:30 AM   #6

I would definately recommend the 620. Easy to use, brilliant picture quality. Like Steve said, a 64MB or above secure digital card is a must. We bought a 128MB card which allows us to take 135 Best pictures, 270 better pictures (I tihnk), and 1394 Good quality pics. For now, I'm using Pure Energy alkaline batteries. I have no problems taking 135 pics with one set of batteries using the LCD screen.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:22 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice. I will surely buy an extra memory card, and I guess immediately buy rechargeable, powerfull batteries.
Thanks again!
RoeckieTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 7:54 PM   #8

The HP Photosmart 7150 is a slower printer than tha HP Deskjet 5550.

If speed is not an issue and you want the USB conectivity of the HP line, then go with the 7150, both offer the same printing resolution (HP PhotoRET IV).

If you like the USB option on the Photosmart series and wish to have a few more pages per minute,perhaps taking a look at the HP Photosmart 7350 is a better choice. It is a faster printer, but also has the memory card reader built into the unit.

Also the 7350 comes with the Colour Cartridge and the Photo Cartridge (to give you 6 colours + black). The Desket 5550 comes with the Colour Cartridge and the black (photo cartridge is extra).

Now if you're looking at the HP Photosmart 620 Camera, I like mine, has a nice 2.1MP resolution, 3x optical with a 4x digital. Can take audio-less videoclips and is fairy small/light weight.

It is a good beginner camera though
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 2:12 PM   #9

the HP7150 comes with the Tri-Colour and the Photo like the 7350. I don't believe there's any difference in speed. The difference lies in the ability to insert memory cards directly into the printer. The 7550 model also has a built in LCD screen for prieviewing. The quality of all 3 printers is the same.