Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:49 PM   #1

I want to get a high-zoom camera and was looking at K-M Z3 and Panasonic FZ3, but found out a relative is giving us a HP 720 plus dock for Christmas. Found the review on the HP 945 and it sounds like a decent camera with good zoom capability (10x or 12x probably is overkill for me) and good indoor picture results with "digital flash" feature, plus it will fit the dock we will have, which may be a big plus. Anyone have any experience with the 945? It will be for family (church/school) functions and sightseeing. Are indoor results good? Is lack of image stabilization an issue at full telephoto? Thanks.
Waffle King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:12 PM   #2

Hello,

I have had the HP945 since 1 year and I am overall very satisfied with it.

Digital flash has nothing to do with indoor pictures: it is actually more useful outdoor, in situations were you have high contrast. What it does is to increase sensitivity in shadows and low light areas, so they do not appear dark. It works like a "fill-in" flash, it is not a substitute for real flash in low light or in dark situations. It can be useful, but it increases the noise, I don't use it very often.

In my opinion, the picture quality for indoor pictures is excellent, but there are some limitations:

- when using the flash, the maximun distance is 3 meters. There is only built-in flash, it is not possible to use an external one. Beyond that distance the pictures may come out dark and noisy.

- if not using the flash, it is possible that the picture is blurred due do to camera shacking, especially at telephoto end. Unfortunately, as you said, there is no image stabilization. Keeping in mind this limitation, I was able to get some very good pictures

Other possible problems:

- speed: some users complain it is slow: I cannot say much, because I have no experience with other cameras

- horizontal lines: when shooting against the sun (even partailly), the pictures can be ruined by horizontal lines. This does not affect all cameras and HP is supposed to have now fixed the problem. My camera has this problem, but I can live with it, since it only affects a small percentage of pictures.

Overall, I think it is a really good value for money.

You may find a lot of pictures and info at: www.hp945.com

Regards,

Dario

dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:13 PM   #3

I recently received the HP 945 as a warranty replacement for the 4 year old HP C912. I am pleased with this 5 MP camera. While I would not recommend this camera for someone set on taking pictures of their children at play, or the local football, or soccer game, I have found that after frowning at the shutter lag, and the in-camera post processing, I end up with a smile on my face at the image quality. This camea has Digital Flash which I find very useful with backlit subjects ... the shadows are enhanced giving a greater dynamic range to the image. I'm told that IS will add about two stops to ones shots, as far as stability is concerned. The HP 945 does not have IS, but I find a shoulderpod, or monopod allows me similar 2 stop added stability (a tripod is really the best in full zoom situations). I like the Digital Flash. I also like the 8X optical and 7X digital zoom. 56x total zoom. Some seem to discount this as really just a cropped 8X image. True ... but the 945 does it so much faster, and so much cleaner than I can do in Photoshop. I like the ability ... plus with the Kenko 2X teleconverter, I get a huge 112X zoom capability. I like it.

If you are a professional photographer, someone who is brand name sensative, someone who is after action photography shooting, or demands fast in-camera responses, then this might not be the camera for you. If you are looking for very good image quality, in a very well rounded, feature rich home user camera, then at current prices this is hard to beat. A 5 MP will give 8X10 plus sized prints, and very nice prints if you have an HP Photosmart printer to print them.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:32 AM   #4

The price of HP945 has fallen since its introduction, from above 500 euros down to 350 euros (in Italy), and myabe you can find it for even less.

At the current price levels, in my opinion, it is a very good value for money. To get a better image quality you would need to spend much more.

Only serious drawback, as stated in previous post, the shutter lag (which is maybe not much worse of some other digicams, but probably not the best. I think more recent digicams are better in this area). If you can live with this, this camera is highly recommended.

Dario

dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:50 AM   #5

Does anyone know if HP will update their 945 model ? It was issued in 2003 and we about to entry 2005.

Also - has anyone compared it to the Kodak 7590 ?
Juan O F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 5:51 AM   #6

Hi guys,
I've ever seen the example pictures of Kodak DX7590 in my local magazine (Indonesia), it shown smooth picture but too smooth I though because kodak eliminated the noisy about 95% so we could lose our detail picture.. how ever, for some people it's okay not so detail picture as long as the camera works fast..
handdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:30 PM   #7

A friend of mine has a 945 and wants more zoom. You mentioned Kenko 2X - what size adapter is needed? I could not find in B&H a Kenko that they would suggest for HP 945. Any help will be very much appreciated. al
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:37 PM   #8

A friend of mine has a 945 and I'd like to tell him where to get the adapter(what size) and the Kenko. Thank you for any help. al
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:04 PM   #9

waffleking-

The HP-945 is a good camera. I own one and have shot many excellent photos with it. I don't knowif the 945 is still offered on the retail market, but ypou might be able to find one on e-bay.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:15 PM   #10

Waffleking-

I checked e-bay and did not find any HP-945 cameras today.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote