Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:32 AM   #1

THe HP 945 was released in 2003,and other manufactures have released new models.

Any idea when HP might update this model ? Andwhen ?

Has anyone compared it to the Kodak 7590 ?
Juan O F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:21 AM   #2

hmmm I really do not know HP plans ... however, considering the ill fated C912 (HP effort at a SLR type digicam) and now their effort with the 945 (HP effort with a moderate level prosumer digicam) I doubt that HP will be rushing to introduce any replacement for the 945.I view HP as targeting the casual shooting market ... kinda like the the type that would buy a Kodak Instamatic, rather than a SLR, back in the 1960-70's, and maybe upgraded to a viewfinder type 35mm subsequently.

I think HP makes a very fine product for the price. Why would they choose to add features that put their cost up to the level of a Canon, or a Nikon ? That I doubt is the market they target. If I'm close, I suspect that the 945 does not come close to inticing the active enthusiest shooter, let alone pro user: and, at the same time the 945 might just be more techical than the average "soccer mom" type shooter cares to fool with.

Under that view, I think HP stretched, and put together a really fine, easy to use (read simpified) digital camera, where most everything is handled by the camera. This seems to the HP approach to technology, and they do a real fine job of it.

The M and R series just strike me as more consistent with the HP marketing effort. If you like this style camera (945), why wait. Look at the Fuji S7000 ... it can be had for about $400 USD currently, or a 945, it can be had for about $300 currently. you mightconclude the S7000 looks likea 12 MP (interpolated) version of the 945, complete with manual and a hotshoe for flash. Both strike me a good values ... just target different markets.

Good luck in your quest, and ...

Happy shooting !

Mike
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3

I believe that HP will sooner or later come out with a replcement for the HP945. However, I suspect that the new model will cost at least about 500 euros (as the original price of the 945), or probably more.

Ithink that , for 350 euros or less, the 945, with its excellent picture quality, 8x zoom and reasonable features is a really good value for money. For me it is an ideal camera for someone who want to start with digital photography, because it is simple, relatively cheap and still has some manual controls.

Regards,

Dario

dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:31 PM   #4

HP is coming out soon with their new Photosmart R717 which is a 6.2 MP unit with 3x optical, 8x digital zoom.

Here the link to their page with details on the product.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...42-437792.html

Regards,

dlogi00
dlogi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:44 AM   #5

The R717 is an interesting camera, but it cannot be compared to H945. The optical zoom is only 3x and there are fewer manual controls.

In my opinion it is a pity if HP doesn't plan to come out with an upgraded version of 945.

If there will be a new "HP945 like" model, these are some things that I would like to see:

- faster focusing

- faster shutter lag

- adapter for filters and lens included

- less barrel distortion, or the same but with a wider maximum angle of view

- same megapixels, or more megapixels but with the same noise level

Regards,

Dario

Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:24 PM   #6

Although the Photosmart 945 showed some success in the last two years there are currently no plans to replace it.

The new HP camera ranges consist of the M-Series and the R-Series. These cameras are a breakthough in HP camera technology. With our unique features such as Adaptive Lighting and HP Real Life Technologies our cameras have proven successful within retail chains such as Jessops, Staples, PC World and many other UK retailers over the past 12 months. The best of these being the R707 which has been an excellent seller since the recent price drop to £199 withinretail chains and as low as £145 on the the internet.

These ranges are set to grow in Quarter 3 of 2005 following the commercial success of the current models.

As for the new R717 go the following link for a full spec sheet.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmi...dfs/437792.pdf

S.Mills

HP Sales Representative UK
HP Rep S.Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:55 AM   #7

Hi,

if HP945 will not be updated, this means that HP will abandon the so called "prosumer" segment of digital cameras, i.e. the cameras that fall between the low end digicams (like R7x7) and the professional ones (DSLR).

It could be a sound choice from a marketing point of you, because HP fills it cannot compete in this segmentagainstCanon, Nikon, Sony, etc...

However, personally, I would have liked to see an improved version of 945.

Cameras like R7x7 will never satisfy the needs of enthusiast photographer, they are good only for casual amateurs.

Regards,

Dario

Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:06 AM   #8

If HP does come out with an upgrade of the HP 945, it must have:

6 MP

Min. 10x optical

Image stabilization

Faster processing speeds

BETTER MOVIE MODE!

Better, higher popup flash
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:39 AM   #9

I have used the HP 945 in my work, which is all outdoors, of shots taken of all kinds of natural vegetation, including closeups. I have found it to take excellent photos under many conditions. The features of greatest interest to me are electronic view finder (for closeups); the large lens (for multiple light conditions); and especially the Adaptive Lighting, which allows (to my mind) much more natural looking photos -- almost all of my photos have shadows of some kind.
Negatives are the lag time for adaptive lighting, and the considerable battery drain -- but with new Rechargables and some planning ahead I have gotten used to these.
But my 945 is starting to wear out and I am regretting it. SO my question is: Are there any other >=5 MP digital cameras available with EVF, a large lens, and Adaptive Lighting? Of course I would prefer a camera that uses recharagable AA batteries.
bcj235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:55 PM   #10

bcj235 wrote:
Quote:
I have used the HP 945 in my work, which is all outdoors, of shots taken of all kinds of natural vegetation, including closeups. I have found it to take excellent photos under many conditions. The features of greatest interest to me are electronic view finder (for closeups); the large lens (for multiple light conditions); and especially the Adaptive Lighting, which allows (to my mind) much more natural looking photos -- almost all of my photos have shadows of some kind.
Negatives are the lag time for adaptive lighting, and the considerable battery drain -- but with new Rechargables and some planning ahead I have gotten used to these.
But my 945 is starting to wear out and I am regretting it. SO my question is: Are there any other >=5 MP digital cameras available with EVF, a large lens, and Adaptive Lighting? Of course I would prefer a camera that uses recharagable AA batteries.
wow, way to revive a TWO year old thread.

any way, I agree with you, I've been using my HP 945 for about 3 years now, and got a new addition to the HP family, which is the HP R927.

again, WOW! a 2 year old thread is re-bumped!

vclipse3g is offline   Reply With Quote