Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:14 PM   #1

Hi,

I purchased a HP r607 a few days ago and all the pics I am taking, no matter what compression/settings I use the photos look too soft - even out of focus?

I am comparing the photos with my old 2MP Fuji - which produced super sharp photos. Is it simply that I am used to seeing the sharp shots from my fuji?

I returned the camera on the basis that the shots look duff for a 4.1 MP camera. I got the r707 instead. I have not yet tested it as it is dark outside, and I want to compare day time shots with the r607.

Bottom line: Do the HP's produce softer photos cmpared to say Sony or Fuji?

Thanks.
pinter75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:35 AM   #2

Ok, I just compared the r707 shots, and they are still slightly out of focus. The cam is set to auto - it is quite overcast here and it seems that it can't auto focus!

Am I doing something wrong? I press the sutter lightly to allow it to focus, then take the shot - Every part of the image looks out of focus :-(

Shame as I really like the features on this camera, but it simply cannot take pics that are the same quality as my old Fuji 2600Zoom :-(

Anyone suggest a small camera that can deliver sharp photos?

Sony DSCL1 or NIKON C/P4200 etc.

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:28 AM   #3

I have compared both my cams - Fuji 2600Zoom and the HP r707. These shots were taken with both cameras on auto, side by side. Both photos are straight out of the cameras resized to 640x480 with JPG compression - medium in Photoshop.

1st the HP r707
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:29 AM   #4

Now the Fuji finepix 2600Zoom.

Which one do you think looks better - in focus?

Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:51 AM   #5

Hello,

I am not sure if it is possible to say something meaningful looking at reduced size images. Maybe you could, instead of reducing the size, crop a part of both images (choose the portion that in your opinion shows more difference in sharpness) and post those.

Based on what you posted, the major difference seems in metering: the HP is underexposed with respect to the Fuji (or vice-versa?).

Also, I don't see so much difference in real detail, but maybe in contrast: maybe the Fuji is using a more aggressive sharpening in camera.

You could try to do some sharpening in Photoshop on the R707 (I use Paintshop and I apply USM mask to increase contrast) and see if it comes out better. Or you can adjust the sharpness parameter in the camera setting.

Regards,

Dario

dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:15 PM   #6

I tried adjusting the sharpness in the camera with no result. The HP has gone back - shame as it looked like a great bit of kit. I now have a Nikon CoolPix 4200 - hopefully my blurry pics will have gone...

BTW UK users, get one for £209 (Nikon 4200)in Currys and you can grab the Epson Picture Mate for £40 - RRP £149.00!
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:30 AM   #7

Hello,

if you don't like the HP images you absolutely did the riht thing to give it back.

However, I believe that image quality is also a little bit a matter of personal taste. I am not sure, in the images you posted, which one I would prefer. In some part of the image, HP actually seems to deliver better detail (upper right corner). For sure it does a slightly better job in metering: the sky in the Fuji shot is overexposed.

However, I read a review (Cnet?) in which they say that the R707 has an eggressive noise reduction algorith, so it gives away some detail: this is maybe the case in the image you posted.

Let's know how do you like Nikon 4100 images!

Regards,

Dario

Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:31 AM   #8

Ok I tested the Nikon this morning - another over cast day here in the UK :-(

I am impressed! The shots are clear and sharp, plus this little camera has a ton of features!

Here is the result of a fully auto shot. I have again resized to 640 x 480, but have included a un-resized portion of detail. Compare it with the HP's Blurry effort.

Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:38 AM   #9

Woo hoo, this gets even better, I just found the panorama assist mode - which is better than the outline HP mode.

Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:25 AM   #10

The Nikon shot, looking at the crop,looks both detailed and clean.

But, overall, I still have the feeling that the Fuji deliver some more detail: look at the left upper corner. Maybe it is only the effect of resizing or, maybe, Fuji is really a super camera in this respect!

I don't want to defend HP R707, in fact the image seems to lack some detail. However, did you noticed that it is the only shot that maintain some detail of sky?

Regards,

Dario

p.s: hope you will be able to do some shots in sunny situations soon...