Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:36 PM   #1

Default Steve, an 850 review question

Steve, in the recent HP 850 review you stated, "Depending on focal length and lighting conditions it can take up to a second and a half to get AF lock so this makes it nearly impossible to follow moving subjects."

Can this limitation be overcome by using the LCD screen on the back instead of the electronic viewfinder? Or do you perhaps have another suggestion? This sounds like exactly the camera I've been looking for....except I want to use it for sporting events, among other things.

Thanks!

Alisande
Alisande is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2002, 3:23 PM   #2

Quote:
This sounds like exactly the camera I've been looking for....except I want to use it for sporting events, among other things.
Me too, and HP do say it would be good for that, I'd like to know as well.
JTravern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:16 PM   #3

Using the LCD won't help. Prefocussing before you track your moving subject will help. If you press the shutter button half way, it sets the focus and exposure (takes about a second), and then when you're ready to take the shot, you push the rest of the way, with only a very small delay. Once prefocussed, the focus and exposure are locked, so you have to pick the right spot to focus on (distance and light must match where your subject ends up) Using the continuous shooting mode can also help (though again it's hard to track a moving object because the screens lock up).

If you really want a good camera for action shots, the Fuji S602 is a better bet. It's faster all around and has several features well suited for action photography, including usable high ISO settings for indoor sports. See Steve's review, along with others on this list:

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_V...ras/alpha.html
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote