Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:11 PM   #11

That's really good news.

Did you have your camera "on" or "off" while blowing the air in?? Did you insert that thin straw in to the docking slot on the camera or you kept it away??

You lucky one. I guess I have to try it too. This camera gets much more attantion form me recently than anything else. Keep me posted.

Maggie78

maggie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:22 PM   #12

I had the camera powered off. I used the straw inserted into the compressed air can nozzle and kept it about 1 to 2 inches away from the slot. I also made sure it didn't emit that white 'dry ice' type of spray that compressed air sometimes does. I hit off a few shots from the canister into the air first off, then moved in to the camera and hit the opening with a couple of shots.

You could always try one shot of air...then check out the picture quality...and do it again until you get the particles removed from the CCD or the inside back of lense....whatever it was I'm glad it is gone.

My camera is still under warranty, but I didn't want to go through all the hassle of shipping it in...or as HP sometimes does, bill your credit card for a replacement camera, ship you a new/refurb unit and then once they get your original returned to them...they reverse the charge on your credit card.

HP wanted to do that with my HP DeskJet 1220c printer awhile back, but I refused and fixed it myself by following a forum much like this one, but for printers. This is what makes the internet such a great resource.
dlogi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:22 AM   #13

Is there any difference between Commpressed Air Duster and Compressed Gas Duster?? Are they the same thing?

Maggie78

Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:02 PM   #14

I would expect they are the same. The main intent is just to blast a flow of airinto the camera to push the dust particles off the lense or CCD so give it a try. I've been snapping outdoor photos like mad today and when I get home I'll validate if my process actually did the trick or not.

dlogi00

:G
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:05 PM   #15

I tried and it did not help. :-((((
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:13 PM   #16

After getting all my hopes built up, and after taking lots of indoor and outdoor photos...the spots showed up on the outdoor photos only...in the exact same place they did prior to me using the compressed air. So I called HP back, they had me email them a scanned copy of my bill of sale showing that the purchase date of the camera was within the one year warranty period. They provided me a CSO number (Customer Service Order) and all the details I need to ship the camera to them, minus all accessories like batteries, memory card, lense cap and strap.

I'll be shipping the camera in to them tomorrow using overnight air collect shipping via Purolator. There will be no charge to me whatsoever on repairs they have to make to the camera and I was told I'd have it back within 3 to 5 business days. My faith in HP service is greatly renewed.

I hope your camera falls within the warranty period so you can get the repairs done for free as well.

dlogi00
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:13 AM   #17

Unfortunately my camera is already out of warranty. Let me know ifHP fix the problem. I'm thinking about opening the camera myself.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:13 PM   #18

Let me know after you receive your camera back from HP. I am wondering if they give you any explanation what they'll do to fix it. I really do not know what to do.

Maggie78

Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:08 AM   #19

I will do that and I'm sorry yours is out of warranty. Also, when I was talking to their support people, I was told that there may be a firmware upgrade from my level (1.03.04), but that I could not do the firmware upgrade myself...it has to be done by HP.

Again, I'll let you know the results when I get it back.

dlogi00
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:55 PM   #20

Any results or improvements with repair.

Let me know.

Maggie